fall off the christmas tree

< Previous | Next >

parasian

French/France
Hello !

Would you say "don't treat me like I just fell off the Christmas tree" is about the same as "don't treat me like I was born yesterday" or is there a difference?
Thanks for your reply!

• parasian

French/France
    Thanks for your help, LRV !
    I didn't find many cases on the Internet but I did find some, so I was wondering if somebody else ever heard that phrase, or is it totally made up ?
    Thank you in advance.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I haven't heard the "... just fell off the Christmas Tree," version.

Without any other clues, I'd go along with the general assumption. For added local colour, though, our variants include:

... up the Lagan in a bubble.
    ... down the Liffey in a bubble.

Don't ask me why the direction of flow should be different :confused:

On the other hand, "You look like you just fell off the Christmas Tree," sounds like a suggestion that someone is dressed somewhat like the fairy at the top of the tree.

Wodwo

UK English
    'I haven't just fallen off a Christmas tree' is a phrase used in the UK, meaning 'I wasn't born yesterday' via the suggestion, as panjandrum intimates, that the speaker is not a fairy (away with the fairies?) or an angel perhaps. I don't really know why it means what it does. I think it probably originated on television, but I don't know that either. I suspect Only Fools and Horses (long-lived sitcom).

ewie

English English
    My 'bible' (The Cassell Dictionary of Slang) avoids the issue of its origins altogether:
    I didn't fall off a Christmas tree phr. [20C] I'm not stupid, don't take me for a fool

< Previous | Next >