fall off the end of a needle

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
drop a stitch
let a stitch fall off the end of a knitting needle
oxforddictionaries

I'm not sure what "fall off the end of a needle" means.
Am I right that it means the action that the woman in this video describes as "slide the wraps off the needle"?

<<YouTube link deleted - sorry, VikNikSor>>

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JustKate

In knitting, dropping a stitch is a mistake - if you drop a stitch, you have to go back and fix the mistake or what you're knitting won't turn out right. (The dropped stitch will unravel, essentially, plus it messes up whatever pattern you're knitting.) If I am correctly understanding what you mean by sliding a stitch off the needle, Vic, that something that is purposely done as part of the knitting process.

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    In knitting, dropping a stitch is a mistake - if you drop a stitch, you have to go back and fix the mistake or what you're knitting won't turn out right. (The dropped stitch will unravel, essentially, plus it messes up whatever pattern you're knitting.) If I am correctly understanding what you mean by sliding a stitch off the needle, Vic, that is purposely done as part of the knitting process.
    One question -- the thing I'm confused by, then, is "let". It sounds like I purposely let/allow the stitch fall (not that it falls accidentally). I'm mistaken?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    let = allow. This also covers the meaning, "to allow by negligence or omission."

< Previous | Next >