fall on a date

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi there, not sure if this had been asked, it just came up to me : can I use fall on as follows?

A: when is the funeral?
B: It'll fall on 1st, January.
I know I can say birthday falls on certain date, not sure about funeral.

• heypresto

English - England
    I think it works with birthdays because they are regular. 'My birthday falls on the tenth of March (every year)'

Funerals, in a sense, only happen once. 'The funeral is on the 17th', or 'The funeral will be on Tuesday'. 'Falls on' doesn't seem to work here.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you, heypresto and Miss J , I felt the same way. Google gave me 14,000 hits, though. ie.If a funeral falls on a weekday, a lot of the men will miss it because they cannot get away from work.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Don't know why but "If the funeral falls on Friday, the wedding will still go ahead," sounds okay to me.

Myridon

English - US
    The use of "falls on" indicates that it seems a bit of a "coincidence" or an interesting fact to you. Valentine's Day is always February 14 and it happens to fall on a Thursday this year. In the US, Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday in November and it happens to fall on November 28 this year.
    The funeral is planned for a certain day of the week or a certain date so it might be possible to say it falls on whichever of the two was not specifically chosen, however since funerals generally are within a week of the death, the day and date are both closely associated - on Monday the 6th, it doesn't seem coincidental or interesting that the 7th is a Tuesday or that Tuesday is the 7th.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I wouldn't use "falls" for a funeral, as if it were happening year after year on a particular date. I might say, "Since the funeral is taking place on Thursday, I won't be able to attend, because . . . ". (alternatives: will take place on, is planned for)

< Previous | Next >