fall over each other

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi, May I have your opinion of the meaning of "fall over each other" in this sentence?

Poets and musicians fall over each other in the rush to celebrate autumn. Our writer joins them
Thanks

• Copyright

American English
    I like Chicchick's answer in UsingEnglish:

It means physically fall over each other in the desperate scramble to get somewhere.

They don't mean this literally but are using the phrase to illustrate the fierce competition between people to reach something.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    I like Chicchick's answer in UsingEnglish:

It means physically fall over each other in the desperate scramble to get somewhere.

They don't mean this literally but are using the phrase to illustrate the fierce competition between people to reach something.
    Thanks for paying attention to my question, indeed quite often I want to know more about it, and unfortunately I cannot always get the second answer there, thanks.

EStjarn

Spanish
    May I have your opinion of the meaning of "fall over each other" in this sentence?
    Here's a dictionary entry for what I believe is a variation of the phrase:
    fall (all) over oneself (to do something)
    Fig. to rush eagerly and awkwardly to do something: The boys fell all over themselves to open the door for Sarah. Larry fell over himself trying to help Sarah on with her coat.
    (I can't seem to notice the sense of "fierce competition.")

< Previous | Next >