fall over [the edge of balcony]

< Previous | Next >

Egon21

Hungarian
Hi

I am confused about "fall over".

balustrade= " a railing or wall to prevent people from falling over the edge of stairs/ balcony"

Fall over here means that to stumble over the edge of stairs...

Anway, I can imagine falling over a toy an object or the edge of stair, but how can you fall over the edge of balcony?

for me ...this usage would make more sense...

" a railing or wall to prevent people from falling down the edge of stairs/ balcony"

What is the difference between fall over the edge of balcony or fall down the edge of balcony...

Thank you,,,

• Myridon

English - US
    Additionally, the edge of the balcony is not very tall. Falling down the edge of the balcony wouldn't hurt you. It's falling down the distance between the balcony and the ground (falling down the side of the building) that is the problem.

Egon21

Hungarian
    Myridon!

I don't understand what you are alluding to...:(
    The edge of the balcony is not very tall? why do you think falling down the edge of the balcony would not hurt me?

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I don't understand what you are alluding to...:(
    The edge of the balcony is not very tall? why do you think falling down the edge of the balcony would not hurt me?
    Look at this picture of a balcony. Assuming the railing is around three feet high, the edge of the balcony appears to be somewhere around four to six inches. (One metre and 10-15 centimetres, if you prefer.) Falling four to six inches should not be particularly painful.

< Previous | Next >