Fall under the deist or agnostic theory

hhtt

Turkish
What does "fall under" mean in "He has sad "I thought I had left the question of the existence of a Supreme Being completely open. . . It would be perfectly consistent with all we know to say that there was a Being who was responsible for all the laws of physics." So, he seems to fall under the deist or agnostic category.

was einstein atheist? and what about stephen hawking? what religion are the scientifics?

I think "fall under" is neither a common phrase nor it is one of a phrasal verbs.

Thank you

• hhtt

Turkish
    "Fall under" means categorised as. Hawking was in the categories of deist or agnostic.
    But does this part "It would be perfectly consistent with all we know to say that there was a Being who was responsible for all the laws of physics." not apparently prove that he is not an agnostic because he believes in a supreme being, which is God. Does this not suggest he was a believer and a Christian?

Loob

English UK
    "Fall under" is fine.

I can only make sense of
    seems to fall under the deist or agnostic category.
    by assuming that the writer is thinking of three categories: deist, agnostic, atheist.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    But does this part "It would be perfectly consistent with all we know to say that there was a Being who was responsible for all the laws of physics." not apparently prove that he is not an agnostic because he believes in a supreme being, which is God. Does this not suggest he was a believer and a Christian?
    It does not mean that. A deist believes there is a God, but an agnostic does know if there is or is not a God (or perhaps multiple gods). The statement says that the existence of God is consistent with what we know, not that it is required for what we know. The non-existence of God is also consistent with what we know.

Even if Hawking believed in God, nothing here says he was a Christian. Many non-Christians believe in God. We might assume from his English background that he was likely to have been a Christian, to the extent that he considered himself part of any organized religion, but nothing in any passage quoted in this thread says or implies that.

< Previous | Next >