Falling off the wall on the ground

< Previous | Next >

Dr. JCVRD

Persian
Hi again.

I want to make sure if there's anything wrong with this sentence or it sounds perfectly fine. Thank you all in advance.

"Victor agilely turns and shoves Gordon against the shower hose, which dislodges and falls off the wall on the ground."

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    On is a preposition of place.
    Onto is a preposition of motion.
    The shower hose is in motion. ;)

In some cases the distinction is unimportant but, in your sentence, it sounds as if the wall is on the floor -> the on tells us is where (the place that) the wall is.

Last edited:

Dr. JCVRD

Persian
    On is a preposition of place.
    Onto is a preposition of motion.
    The shower hose is in motion. ;)

In some cases the distinction is unimportant but, in your sentence, it sounds as if the wall is on the floor -> the on tells us is where (the place that) the wall is.
    Thank you for the reply. Do you mean I should use "onto" instead of "on"?
    In that particular sentence, I'm actually talking about a handheld shower mounted on the wall and then the hose along with its faucet is detached from the wall and falls down onto the ground.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In that particular sentence, I'm actually talking about a handheld shower mounted on the wall and then the hose along with its faucet is detached from the wall and falls down onto the ground.
    I was aware of what you were trying to say - you have now used the correct preposition. :thumbsup:

Dr. JCVRD

Persian
    I was aware of what you were trying to say - you have now used the correct preposition. :thumbsup:
    So I'll change my sentence to:

"Victor agilely turns and shoves Gordon against the shower hose, which dislodges and falls off the wall onto the ground."

Thank you.

Linkway

British English
    Yes, "onto" but not "ground" unless your shower is open-air, i.e. outside the building.

Inside a building, we would say it fell onto the floor (rather than "ground").

< Previous | Next >