falls asleep for twenty years

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by joanvillafane, Nov 2, 2010.

1. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hello, Forum friends. There is some imprecision in the phrase in the thread title. There would be a different translation for "fall asleep" and "sleep for twenty years." I didn't think I could put the two together in Italian. It's also a little strange to think about falling asleep while hiking. So I separated these two ideas and attached "20 years" to the next sentence.

Famous for his tales of the early Dutch settlers, such as the story of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman, [Washington] Irving truly captured the American imagination with his tale of Rip Van Winkle, a young colonist who falls alseep for twenty years while hiking in the Catskills. He wakes up .... etc.
    Famoso per i suoi racconti degli primi coloni olandesi, come la storia di Ichabod Crane ed il Cavaliere Senza Testa, Irving veramente catturò l'immaginazione degli americani con il suo racconto di Rip Van Winkle, un giovane colono olandese chi si addormenta mentre cammina nelle montagne Catskill. Dopo un sonno profondo di venti anni, si sveglia.....

Thank you for your corrections and any other advice.

2. sterrenzio

sterrenzio Senior Member

Oppure potresti dire "che si addormenta mentre cammina per le montagne Catskill e dorme per vent'anni".

In questo modo eviteresti di spezzare la frase.

Irving, celebre per i suoi racconti sui primi coloni olandesi, come la storia di Ichabod Crane ed il Cavaliere Senza Testa, riuscì a catturare l'immaginazione degli americani con il suo racconto di Rip Van Winkle, un giovane colono olandese che si addormenta mentre cammina per le montagne Catskill e dorme per vent'anni (...)

3. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thank you, sterrenzio, great suggestion! And I see how you moved Irving to the beginning of the sentence. Thanks for your help.

4. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Valencia, Spain
    Italian
    "con il suo racconto di Rip" non mi suona molto bene. Suggerirei "con la storia di Rip" o "con il suo racconto su Rip"

riguardo alla frase indicata nel thread, direi (più liberamente, se il resto della frase lo permette) "che si addormenta (durante / nel corso di) un'escursione sulle Catskill e si risveglia (solo) dopo vent'anni"

5. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thanks, Gianfry. "La storia di Rip" is better as it also avoids the repetition of "i suoi racconti." And I will take your advice about "escursione."

Thanks a lot.

6. scratch86 Member

Roma
    Italian
    Irving, celebre per i suoi racconti sui primi coloni olandesi, come la storia di Ichabod Crane ed il Cavaliere Senza Testa, riuscì a catturare l'immaginazione degli americani con il racconto su Rip Van Winkle, un giovane colono olandese che si addormentò per vent'anni mentre camminava per le montagne Catskill(...)...

7. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thank you, scratch. But I think I have to keep it in the present tense, as the following sentences continue the story about Rip Van Winkle in the present tense also.

8. kasziel Member

Berlin, Germany
    Italian
    that´s true but you are talking about the past and in italian wouldn´t be that correct anyway. Althought the following sentence continue with the present tense you are going to talk about another time in the story that is 20 years later. So u have the possibility to start with a verbal time and going to change it. Both things happened into the past, but in two different moments, so u could use the "passato" end the "passato remoto" for example.

here is my idea for a better sounding sentence (in my opinion) and to fall asleep is "cadere addormentati" it sounds a little like "the sleeping beauty" but that´s the proper translation.

Famoso/Celebre/Conosciuto per i suoi racconti sui primi coloni olandesi, come la storia di Ichabod Crane o quella del cavaliere senza testa, Irving riuscí realmente (or letteralmente) a catturare l´immaginazione degli americani con la sua novella (racconto, storia, or il suo libro) su Rip Van Winkle, un giovane colone che mentre girovagava per le montagne Catskills cadde addormentato in un sonno profondo che duró vent´anni.
    Al suo risveglio...

Ste

9. Magnusson Senior Member

Italian

10. kasziel Member

Berlin, Germany
    Italian
    ups, colonO! Grazie per le virgole, me le perdo sempre in viaggio.. ;-)

11. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thanks, kasziel and magnusson. I think "cadere addormentato" is perfect here.