falls ich mal etwas außer der Reihe gemacht haben wollte,

swansea12

Banned
english british
"damit es keine Probleme mit der Verständigung geben kann, falls ich mal etwas außer der Reihe gemacht haben wollte," so that there were no problems in understanding,in case I should have wanted anything unusual done.....correct?

• Demiurg

German
    "Außer der Reihe" means "without an appointment". "Reihe" is the waiting "queue"; if you get served "außer der Reihe", you basically jump the queue.

My dictionary says "out of band", but I don't know if that fits here.

Demiurg

German
    "Etwas außer der Reihe machen" could also mean "to do sth after hours/on the side", and not in a regular fashion.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Out of band doesn't mean much in english.
    It does but it is a technical term. In telecommunications it means that certain information is transmitted through a different channel, possibly even through a different medium either to avoid confusion by the recipient or to make it harder for unauthorized listeners to get the complete information.

swansea12

Banned
    english british
    Yes I know that is what I said.:)Demi has it right I think,in his second post concerning my original inquiry.

berndf

German (Germany)
    Yes I know that is what I said.
    Not really, you wrote "bandwidth (broadband etc)". That would be about transmission capacity or speed. The concept of "out of band" has nothing to do with that, it is about transmisson channels and priority. And that is what the German expression is about as well - although it is not restricted to telecomunitation. It could be about anything where procedures are applied; work-related or otherwise.

< Previous | Next >