families of modest wealth

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hello, xyliu. Welcome to the forum. "A family of modest wealth" is "well to do". "A family of modest means" is poor.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I wouldn't be quite sure without having seen the context. Where did you find the phrase, xyliu?

It's rather relative, and sometimes it means "not very wealthy in comparison to with other families".

Last edited:

xyliu003

Chinese
    I wouldn't be quite sure without having seen the context. Where did you find the phrase, xyliu?

It's rather relative, and sometimes it means "not very wealthy in comparison to with other families".
    thank you.
    it is a translated text. "In reality, most of the students studying abroad are not the so-called “Fu Er Dai” or kids from wealthy families. Instead, most come from families of modest wealth. " source text in Chinese , 小康家庭 actually means middle class family

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thanks for the context:).

I think your meaning is clear, since you contrast these families with more wealthy ones. It isn't altogether idiomatic nowadays to talk about "modest wealth", I think. I might say,

Instead, most come from families of more modest means.

For me, that would not imply that they are poor; merely less wealthy than the elite.
    I see I'm disagreeing with dojibear here, so perhaps it's an AE/BE difference. There must be other suitable expressions, but I can't think of any at the moment.

xyliu003

Chinese
    Thanks for the context:).

I think your meaning is clear, since you contrast these families with more wealthy ones. It isn't altogether idiomatic nowadays to talk about "modest wealth", I think. I might say,

Instead, most come from families of more modest means.

For me, that would not imply that they are poor; merely less wealthy than the elite.
    I see I'm disagreeing with dojibear here, so perhaps it's an AE/BE difference. There must be other suitable expressions, but I can't think of any at the moment.
    Thank you very much for your clear explanation! I also think the problem here is that this is a translated work and not a idiomatic use.

< Previous | Next >