Family Prayer

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by VaeshaDalek, Mar 19, 2008.

1. VaeshaDalek New Member

USA English
    Hi, I am Italian and family is the most important thing in my life. so I decided to get a tatoo of a prayer for my family, and I wanted to get it in Italian. the prayer goes.... 'God may you keep my family always in your sights and under the protection of your wings. may your hand guide them safely through this life and into your arms in the next.' ...can anyone help me out?? Thanks!!! -Kay

2. saltapicchio

saltapicchio Senior Member

Vicino Udine
    Italia (Roma) - Italiano
    Dio (Signore), possa Tu tenere la mia famiglia sotto il Tuo sguardo e la protezione delle Tue ali. Possa Tu guidarli al sicuro attraverso questa vita e tra le Tue braccia nella prossima.

I think that is a good translation but before the tattoo I think is better if you make a check ;-)

3. VaeshaDalek New Member

USA English
    Thank you so much, it's greatly appreciated! I tried to attach a photo of it written out in the font and style I want, just to be sure I don't need to make any corrections but it will not let me. I basically copied it exactly as it was written with capitols and punctuations the same, were they all correct?? I did leave out the word in parentheses...what is that word or what does it mean, should I have left it in?? thanks! -katie

4. saltapicchio

saltapicchio Senior Member

Vicino Udine
    Italia (Roma) - Italiano
    God = Dio
    Lord = Signore

You can make a choose

I used the capitols for Tu (You) and Your (Tuo) because I'm writing about God and in the religious textes normally, in this cases, the pronouns have the capitols.

5. VaeshaDalek New Member

USA English
    Wonderful, thank you again so much!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2008
  6. VaeshaDalek New Member

USA English
    I am Italian and family is the most important thing in my life. so I decided to get a tatoo of a prayer for my family, and I wanted to get it in Italian. the prayer goes.... 'God may you keep my family always in your sights and under the protection of your wings. may your hand guide them safely through this life and into your arms in the next.'

The translation I got is.....'Dio, possa Tu tenere la mia famiglia sotto il Tuo sguardo e la protezione delle Tue ali. Possa Tu guidarli al sicuro attraverso questa vita e tra le Tue braccia nella prossima.' I just wanted to make sure before I get the tattoo, that it is a good translation! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2008
  7. Angel.Aura

Angel.Aura del Mod, solo L'aura

Roma, Italia
    Italian
    Ne avevamo già parlato. ;)
    Quale passo precisamente non ti convince?
    E soprattutto... ma perché un tatuaggio?!?!? :eek:
    :)

8. VaeshaDalek New Member

USA English
    Just wanted to be super sure, since it's a tattoo and it's forever :)

9. Angel.Aura

Angel.Aura del Mod, solo L'aura

Roma, Italia
    Italian
    Ok Vaesha Dalek :)

If you really think that this tattoo thing is something really inescapable, then...

Your sentence:
    The translation:
    When you refer to God, you have to use capitals: not you but You.
    You can use the word Dio (for God) or Signore (for Lord).

Have you ever thought about a commemorative plaque, carved in wood, maybe? ;)

Ciao
    :)

10. VaeshaDalek New Member

USA English
    Thank you! I appreciate your help! Not a huge fan of tattoos? ;) I don't have any so far and this is the only one I want because it just means a lot to me..it will be tastefull if that makes it any better! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008