Source: English Literature / The Norman Conquest And Its EffectsFamine, war, pestilence, and death - these are the riders who passed through the streets of medieval cities and villages by night and by day.
I have checked WR dictionary but in spite of this I can not understand the blue part. [rider] usually means a person who rides an animal. What does it mean in my text?
Thank yourider /ˈraɪdə/ n
- a person or thing that rides, esp a person who rides a horse, a bicycle, or a motorcycle
- an additional clause, amendment, or stipulation added to a legal or other document, esp (in Britain) a legislative bill at its third reading
- Brit a statement made by a jury in addition to its verdict, such as a recommendation for mercy
- any of various objects or devices resting on, surmounting, or strengthening something else
- a thin seam, esp of coal or mineral ore, overlying a thicker seam