Famous quotes

helena357

USA/ English
I have seen on several occasions that "Love enters man through his eyes, woman through her ears" is a famous Polish proverb but have not been able to find it actually in Polish. Could someone translate it for me, please?? :)

Also, if anyone knows any particularly witty Polish quotes, I would love to know them!

• janek

Polish, Poland
    Hi Helena,

This is actually not a saying, nor a proverb - it is a quote (it is believed that the author was Ludwika Godlewska, however, I couldn't get any official proof for that).

The closest well-known saying to the above would be:

Przez żołądek do serca (Via the stomach to the heart) - Which means that a woman can win a man with her cooking skills.

My favourite Polish saying is:

Dobrymi chęciami jest piekło wybrukowane (Good intention is hell's cobblestone) - means that good intentions don't get you anywhere without some actual effort.

All the best,

Janek

_sandra_

Poland - Polish
    Dziękuję bardzo!!!
    Hope you don't mind, i'm sure it was just a slip;)
    I think you will love this page.
    Helena, be careful with the proverbs from this site.. Most of them are correct (or nearly), but some are just a kind of a 'joke' I suppose
    (e.g. Jak nie urok to wyżymaczka - obviously doesn't exist)

Take care,
    Sandra

helena357

USA/ English
    Hi Sandra! Don't worry, I know how to spell, I just didn't have the characters on the computer I was using to be able to make the right letter! But thanks anyway and thank you for the info about the quotes on the website!

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    _sandra_ said:
    Helena, be careful with the proverbs from this site.. Most of them are correct (or nearly), but some are just a kind of a 'joke' I suppose
    (e.g. Jak nie urok to wyżymaczka - obviously doesn't exist)
    I couldn't fint it on that site. :rolleyes:
    I'm sure there's existent equivalent of Jak nie urok to wyżymaczka. :D

Sybil

US
    Poland/Polish
    Janek,

Good call! "Love enters man through his eyes, woman--through her ears" is, indeed Godlewska's.

Helena,

Here's the Polish translation of this quote: "Miłość wchodzi mężczyźnie przez oczy a kobiecie przez uszy."
    I think I like the translation better than the original ;-)

I can't think of too many witty Polish proverbs (or perhaps, because I've heard them so many times, they don't sound witty anymore), but there is a whole lot of witty sayings or quotes in Polish. Are you looking for witty "love" sayings or any witty sayings? Here's one for you: The woman cries before her wedding and the man after." ("Kobieta płacze przed ślubem a mężczyzna po.")

Speaking of witty Polish quotes, I like Stanislaw Lem. He wrote once, "Is it progress if a cannibal uses a knife and fork?" ("Czy jeżeli ludożerca je nożem i widelcem - to postęp?"). I even used this line in my signature earlier on this site 'cause I liked it so much ;-)
    Let me know what it is that you're looking for :)

BezierCurve

As for the original question - there is another saying, close to that: "mężczyźni są wzrokowcami, kobiety słuchowcami" ("men are driven by what they see, women - by what they hear").

I'm sure there's existent equivalent of Jak nie urok to wyżymaczka.

In case anyone wondered, "sraczka" (diarrhea) is the magical word :)