fancy/elaborate/ornate/top furniture

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
We saw a lot of fancy furniture from different countries at the International Furniture Exhibition.

Could I view "fancy" in the above as "elaborate/ornate and top?" Thanks.
  • Istarion

    Senior Member
    British English
    While fancy usually means elaborate/ornate, I think in some circumstances it can just mean expensive/posh. However, I'm not sure where you've got "top" from... We have the phrase 'over the top' which could mean exaggeratedly and unnecessarily ornate, and various phrases such as 'tip-top' and 'top-notch' meaning that something is of very good quality, but I don't think any of those are what you meant... did you find this meaning in a dictionary?

    Hope it helps in any case,
    < Previous | Next >