fantastic and fully with it

< Previous | Next >

lekal

Chinese
Dear friends,

“She’d sit in the kitchen next to the coal stove, bundled up in long skirts and head scarves, blankets over her shoulders. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)-----> That’s all she did, all day, every day. <...> She was fantastic and fully with it. She just couldn’t see and didn’t move.”
【from the book Born a Crime by Trevor Noah】
Does fantastic here means weird? Fully with it means fully weird?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would read "fantastic" as meaning that she still had excellent personal qualities, that she could engage in conversation. The meaning could certainly extend to an endorsement of her mental abilities, as the "fully with it" part would suggest.

For all we know she was able to perform various tasks despite her visual impairment. The conversational tone of this book seems to make for many ambiguous sentences, at least with our limited exposure to the full context.

lekal

Chinese
    I read it as fully cognitive, i.e. mentally normal.
    So do I. That is certainly the meaning in BE anyway.
    I would read "fantastic" as meaning that she still had excellent personal qualities, that she could engage in conversation. The meaning could certainly extend to an endorsement of her mental abilities, as the "fully with it" part would suggest.

For all we know she was able to perform various tasks despite her visual impairment. The conversational tone of this book seems to make for many ambiguous sentences, at least with our limited exposure to the full context.
    Thank you!
    And as "full with it", what does "it" mean?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "With it" is a set phrase: It means to be capable, to be aware, or even to be "cool."

with it:
    with it, [Slang.]
    • aware of the latest fads, fashions, etc.;
      up-to-date.
    • attentive or alert:I'm just not with it early in the morning.
    • understanding or appreciative of something, as jazz.

< Previous | Next >