fantastic literature

< Previous | Next >

raluca8821

Romanian
Hello!

I'm writing an essay on the first book of a writer who has published only fantasy novels so far. Does the title 'Fantastic Debut of X' sound good to you? I want it to be a game of words, so to speak. The word fantastic does not necessarily refer to the fact that the book is extraordinary, but to the fact that it is a fantasy novel.

Thank you!:)

• JamesM

"Fantastic" is modifying "debut" in your title, so it doesn't really work as a play on words, in my opinion. Also, I think "fantastic" has lost its association with fantasy in most people's minds. You might use "fantastical" and move it somewhere else, such as "The Debut of the Fantastical Mr./Ms. X" or 'Now Presenting the Fantastical Mr./Ms. X".

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Fantastic literature" and "fantasy literature" are two entirely different things. Today, the generic term for such literature is "fantasy." "Fantastic" literature is a historical term that relates to literature written in the late 18th and early 19th century (for instance, by E. T. A. Hoffmann). "Fantastic" literature went on to inspire the development of "fantasy" literature as well as science fiction and horror, but it is a question for literary study what the precise relationship might be between "fantasy" and the "fantastic."

So basically, beware the false similarity of "fantastic" to "fantasy." One of them is a current literary term and the other is a word from a dusty, neglected corner of literary history and theory.

< Previous | Next >