Fantastic or Fantasy fiction?

< Previous | Next >

Parbr1

Canada and English
Hi there

I am wondering if it anybody can confirm for sure whether the genre of fiction known as "Fantasy Fiction" is the same as "Fantastic Fiction".
For example Adolfo Bioy Casares, author of The invention of Morel was a well-known exponent of fantastic (or Fantasy) fiction.
Also should that be in capitals or not?
Many thanks in advance for comments and commentaries

• Mister Micawber

USA, English
    There is no necessity to capitalize either form. Both terms are used (with 'fantasy' heavily favoured) and both appear in both majuscule and minuscule forms.

Parbr1

Canada and English
    Hi Mr M
    thanks for your advice.
    I personally prefer fantasy fiction as its the one I am most familiar with.
    I do know that there is the genre "fantastique" in French & "fantástico" in Spanish. So it would seem plausible to have fantastic literature or fiction in English but it does sound a bit "off".

Lis48

English - British
    In BE we would always say fantasy fiction as fantastic fiction would simply mean wonderful fiction and I wouldn´t understand what you meant. No need for a capital F.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    The section in the bookstore is always "fantasy fiction", as far as I am concerned.

Parbr1

Canada and English
    Thanks so much to you all. I agree with the comments made by Lis48 and am especially glad that this is acceptable on both sides of 'the pond'

< Previous | Next >