far from the timing of

KokyS

arabic
Hi,

. The timing of the sanction enforcement shall not be far from the timing of crime committing.

Can we use "far" with "timing"?

Source: Guidelines for Writing the Statement of Objectives and Justifications- Legislative System

Thanks,

• rhitagawr

British English
    This sentence doesn't make much sense to me anyway. It seems to mean that a criminal should be brought to justice as soon as possible after committing the crime.
    Timing doesn't mean the time at which something happens. I don't think it works in the OP sentence. Far doesn't work anyway.
    The train arrived five minutes after I arrived at the station, which was good timing. I didn't have to wait long for my train.
    I arrived just as George and Lucy were having a blazing row, which wasn't good timing.
    Timings are good on the Birmingham and Staffordshire Railway. The trains go at a reasonable speed and are punctual.
    Smith's timings have improved. He's running faster than he used to.

Last edited:

rhitagawr

British English
    Even so, it's not right. It sounds as though a word like trial or sentencing would be better depending on what is meant. Sanction isn't really the right word to use if you're talking about crime and punishment. It normally refers to the restrictions which a country, or group of countries, places on another. For example, some Russian oligarchs are not allowed to enter certain western countries because of what Russia has done in Ukraine. Who wrote the guidelines, KokyS? It sounds like someone whose first language is not English.

< Previous | Next >