(Far) too hot

< Previous | Next >

Roymalika

Punjabi
The stars are the collection of fires scattered through space. They are far too hot for the life to exist because life needs suitable physical conditions for its existence.

Is "far" correct before "too hot"? I think it is redundant, because it means the sams as "too".
What is your opinion please?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Emphasis is not redundant. 'Far too hot' is stronger than 'too hot'. A sulfurous pool on Earth might be slightly too hot to support life, but it's not far too hot.

grassy

Polish
    You seem to be reading it too literally. There different degrees of hotness: 500 degrees Celsius is not the same as 5000 degrees even though neither supports life.
    Also, 'too hot' doesn't just mean 'very hot'. It means that it is so hot that the existence of life is impossible.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Thank you. But what is the meaning of "too hot"?

As I understand,
    Too hot = very hot.
    Far too hot = very hot to a great degree.:confused::eek:
    'Too hot' doesn't have to mean 'very hot.' Suppose a child tries on her mother's blouse. Her mother is a small person. The blouse will be too big for the child, but the blouse tiself, as an adult's blouse, is not very big.
    'Too hot' in your OP means 'hotter than is feasible/suitable/appropriate', just as 'too big' in my example means 'bigger than is suitable for a piece of clothing for a child.'
    'Far too hot' = 'much, much too hot.' The same child tries on the shirt of her tall father. The shirt is so large on her that the hem drags on the ground. The shirt is far too big for the child.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Thank you. But what is the meaning of "too hot"?

As I understand,
    Too hot = very hot. :cross:
    Far too hot = very hot to a great degree.:confused::eek:
    To be honest, Too hot means nothing on its own; too hot for something is always present or implied. E.g:

This water is boiling -- it's too hot to make coffee (which needs 85°) but it's not too hot for tea (99°).
    You're 18. You're too old now to wear your hair in pigtails, it makes you look like a child.

[Cross-posted.]

kentix

English - U.S.
    I have noticed that some people learning English use "too" like it is another word for "very". On a hot day someone once said, "It's too hot today". It took me awhile to realize they simply meant "very hot" and not "too hot for <a particular activity>".

But too means overly, not very. It's overly hot for a certain activity or situation.

A ten-year-old might be too short to ride a certain ride at an amusement park. A three-year-old would be far too short to ride that ride.

If someone does say "It's too hot today" it's really the short form of a longer sentence.

"It's too hot today for me to be comfortable."
    "It's too hot today for this time of year."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >