fare blitz (used in AE/BE?)

< Previous | Next >

csicska

hungarian
Hello. I have encountered the term "fare blitz" used in Canada with the following meaning:

Inquiry counsel Art Vertlieb asked Allen if the new policy would allow a Taser to be deployed on a person fleeing police during a "fare blitz" -- a check to see if passengers had paid fares. (canada.com)

Do you use the same term in AE/BE?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I haven't heard this term in conversation, but a Google search for "fare blitz" shows it is used in news articles. Though I only looked at the first page, I found one source in Boston that used the term, and I noticed that several sources for the term came from Australia.

csicska

hungarian
    Thank you, owlman5. What would you call such an action if you were to mention it to someone?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome, csicska.

Because we don't have transportation systems that allow people to cheat in my part of the world, I'd have to use some clumsy sentence to express the idea: They started checking to see that people were paying their fares.

"Fare blitz" is handy, but I'll bet I would have to explain that term if I used it in a conversation here in Colorado Springs. When I first saw the term in your thread, I assumed that airlines were competing with each other by offering low fares in some region. Of course, that notion was wrong. :)

I notice that your source defined "fair blitz". That tells me that the author thought the readers needed a definition.

sound shift

English - England
    I had not heard the term "fare blitz" so out of curiosity I "googled" on it with the domain set to .uk. There were nine results, but only one of them was about public transport in the UK (three were about public transport in Australia).

< Previous | Next >