fare impressione

underhouse

Italian
Come si potrebbe tradurre "fare impressione" in questi esempi?

Mi fa impressione quel bambino così piccolo con le occhiaie!

Mi fa impressione vedere le persone negli autobus con le mani in bocca.

Grazie in anticipo!

• Angel.Aura

Italian
    Ciao underhouse,
    il dizionarietto mi dice che si usa "how disgusting" per indicare qualcosa che fa impressione.
    Però in effetti in Italiano non si tratta solo di disgusto. E' anche turbamento o ansia genericamente.

GavinW

British English
    Ciao underhouse,
    il dizionarietto mi dice che si usa "how disgusting" per indicare qualcosa che fa impressione.
    Però in effetti in Italiano non si tratta solo di disgusto. E' anche turbamento o ansia genericamente.

Exactly. In English we have to choose the precise reaction: disgust sounds a bit too strong for most contexts. "I find ... really off-putting.." is more or less right, I feel, for most ordinary contexts (alternatively: ".... really put[s] me off").
    HTH
    Ciao ciao

underhouse

Italian
    Exactly. In English we have to choose the precise reaction: disgust sounds a bit too strong for most contexts. "I find ... really off-putting.." is more or less right, I feel, for most ordinary contexts (alternatively: ".... really put[s] me off").
    HTH
    Ciao ciao

Ciao Gavin,

però ho visto che "to put off" vuol dire sconcertare, mentre "mi fa impressione" fa riferimento, come dice A.A., a qualcosa che turba, che può anche disturbare forse.

SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    Ciao Underhouse,

You could say "It's disturbing to see . . .". Although some people might think it's too strong, it's become common (at least with Americans) to describe milder situations also, like the ones you mentioned.

There is also the extremely colloquial/slangy American expression: "It weirds me out".

GavinW

British English
    Ciao Gavin,

però ho visto che "to put off" vuol dire sconcertare, mentre "mi fa impressione" fa riferimento, come dice A.A., a qualcosa che turba, che può anche disturbare forse.

Interesting, where did you see that? Can you cite the source? I don't see the connection between "sconcertare" and "put off" at all... For me they're two different things.

underhouse

Italian
    Interesting, where did you see that? Can you cite the source? I don't see the connection between "sconcertare" and "put off" at all... For me they're two different things.

Su Garzanti:

to put off
    7 sconcertare: his remark - me off, la sua osservazione mi ha sconcertato.

Non mi sorprenderebbe che non sia esatto...

GavinW

British English
    Su Garzanti:

to put off
    7 sconcertare: his remark - me off, la sua osservazione mi ha sconcertato.

Non mi sorprenderebbe che non sia esatto...

Neanche a me! Ma piu' che inesatto, e' troppo breve l'esempio riportato/inventato dal nostro amico Garzanti per formare un'opinione definitiva al riguardo. Inoltre, questo senso e' l'ultimo di 7 significati separati (e gia' il numero 6 e' alquanto raro e strambo!).
    Conclusione: da prendere con le pinzette! Ma quelle lunghe! ;-)

underhouse

Italian
    Neanche a me! Ma piu' che inesatto, e' troppo breve l'esempio riportato/inventato dal nostro amico Garzanti per formare un'opinione definitiva al riguardo. Inoltre, questo senso e' l'ultimo di 7 significati separati (e gia' il numero 6 e' alquanto raro e strambo!).
    Conclusione: da prendere con le pinzette! Ma quelle lunghe! ;-)

Le pinzette lunghe... bella questa, Gavin! :D

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
    And what about impressive/impressed? I try:
    It makes me impressed to see people in the bus with their hands in mouth.
    I'm impressed by seeing people...

Could that work?

GavinW

British English

Could that work?

No, sorry chum, it's a false friend if ever there was one. Direct opposite, you might even say. Fischi per fiaschi and all that.

Underhouse: Thanks! (I was rather proud of it myself...)

underhouse

Italian

Could that work?

Ciao Salegrosso,

il problema di "to be impressed" (credo che "makes me impressed" sia sbagliato) è che ha un significato positivo, ad esempio:

I was impressed by his performance (impressionato favorevolmente)

Forse nell'esempio delle mani in bocca si potrebbe dire "It gives me the creeps" (mi fa senso)...

Leo57

UK English
    Ciao Salegrosso,

il problema di "to be impressed" (credo che "makes me impressed" sia sbagliato) è che ha un significato positivo, ad esempio:

I was impressed by his performance (impressionato favorevolmente)

Forse nell'esempio delle mani in bocca si potrebbe dire "It gives me the creeps" (mi fa senso)...

Hi there
    I thought I might just add something here. Ok we obviously don't use "make an impression" exactly as "fare impressione" however, to be impressed in any way means something has a strong effect on feelings, intellect and conscience, so we just need to use other words to convey the same thing. In your example above Underhouse, you can use it positively or negatively, i.e. I was very impressed by his performance, or I wasn't the least bit impressed by his performance. (something can give a good impression or a bad impression)

Mi fa impressione quel bambino così piccolo con le occhiaie!
    It perturbs me to see a small child with dark rings under the eyes. (I really hope I have understood this!!!) sconcertare = to perturb
    You could also say it upsets me/it disturbs me.

I agree with Gavin that we need to choose the correct reaction and the degree of that reaction, from it's a bit off-putting to something that totally disgusts us.

Ciao
    Leo:)

underhouse

Italian
    Mi potreste dare qualche informazione ulteriore su "to put off" usato con questo significato?

Se dicessi

That kid with dark rings under the eyes put me off!

che sensazione/sentimento starei esprimendo?

Leo57

UK English
    Se dicessi

That kid with dark rings under the eyes put me off!

che sensazione/sentimento starei esprimendo?

Ciao underhouse
    Unfortunately, it doesn't fit at all here, well to my mind it doesn't anyway.
    Also by writing the sentence in this way it sounds as though it is the child you are objecting to instead of the dark rings.
    Dictionary.com gives this: put off = to confuse or perturb; disconcert; repel / e.g. We were put off by the book's abusive tone.

phrasal-verbs/put+off

Ciao

underhouse

Italian
    Ciao underhouse
    Unfortunately, it doesn't fit at all here, well to my mind it doesn't anyway.
    Also by writing the sentence in this way it sounds as though it is the child you are objecting to instead of the dark rings.
    Dictionary.com gives this: put off = to confuse or perturb; disconcert; repel / e.g. We were put off by the book's abusive tone.

phrasal-verbs/put+off

Ciao

Ciao Leo :)

so I should say:

I was put off by that kid...

Would it work like that?