fare viticoltura

antheaqueen

Italian
Ciao a tutti! Sto traducendo un testo sulla Franciacorta, dove vengono elencati tutti i fattori che permettono alle aziende di fare una viticoltura di qualità (come il microclima, il suolo etc). Può sembrare sciocco, ma mi sono bloccata su una frase apparentemente semplice:

"Tutti questi fattori ci consentono di fare una viticoltura d'eccellenza."

"All of these factors allow us to make high-quality viticulture."

In inglese "make viticulture" mi suona malissimo! Ma volevo chiedere, risulta comunque comprensibile?

PS- riguardo a "d'eccellenza" avevo pensato anche a "viticulture of excellence" ma mi sembra più scorrevole "high-quality viticulture"...

Grazie mille in anticipo a chi vorrà darmi un parere :)!

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    My guess would be that one practices viticulture, but it's a guess, and I haven't found much support for it online, though there's plenty about viticultural practices. That said, I suspect the most natural way to say it in English would be to forget about "viticulture" entirely and say "all of these factors allow us to make wines of the highest quality." Unless, of course, there's more to viticoltura in this particular text than the end result?

antheaqueen

Italian
    Thank you guys, great suggestions! :) I really like both "carry out" and "develop."

@theartichoke yeah, it would be better to keep "viticulture" since that part is all about vineyards :) They talk about wines later in the text. Actually, "praticare (una) viticoltura" makes sense in Italian. It also sounds more elegant, to be honest. But in English... it sounds a little bit odd? At least to my non-native ears :')

rrose17

Canada, English
    I agree with arti. I don't think you can use make/perform/carry out viticulture. They all sound odd. Maybe
    All these factors allow for/permit excellent viticulture.

Last edited:

boysenberryjam

English - North American
    I agree with theartichoke's suggestion to leave out viticulture completely. However, viticulture and winemaking are two different things. So, building on that:
    "all of these factors allow us to make wines grow grapes of the highest quality."

merse0

Italy - Italian
    Più che su "grapes = uve" io enfatizzerei il concetto di "vineyards = vigneti" che è più vicino a viticoltura.

"all of these factors allow us to farm vineyards of the highest quality."

tsoapm

English (England)
    I'd respectfully disagree and suggest that focusing on the produce is a smart move. It's true that 'vineyards' approaches the formulation of the source more closely, and that can sometimes be a plus, but the whole purpose of the activity is the grapes you get out of it (unless I'm missing something) and it seems more natural to emphasise that.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I had the luck to be talking to two people today who know the answer to this--one is getting some kind of winemaking certification, and the other has translated a lot of wine-related literature from Italian to English--and they both informed me that there is no English verb you can reasonably put before "viticulture" to translate fare: you cannot practice it, do it, make it, carry it out, develop it, or anything else. They got rather a giggle out of the thought of any of these. So either eliminating the verb, as in rrose's suggestion (#6), or shifting to it all to grapes and/or wine-making would seem to be the way to go. :)

Last edited:

A User

Italiano
    (All) These vineyard/viticultural practices/methods permit to create/produce premium quality wines.

< Previous | Next >