Faroese: "Dedicated to general historical, social, linguistic, political and cultural topics pertinent to the Faroese."

Nerthus

de
Hello, Could someone please translate this phrase into Faroese? "Dedicated to general historical, social, linguistic, political and cultural topics pertinent to the Faroese." Thank you in advance.

• Jónurin

Faroe Islands, Faroese
    Hello, Could someone please translate this phrase into Faroese? "Dedicated to general historical, social, linguistic, political and cultural topics pertinent to the Faroese." Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, this is too difficult for me to translate, as I don't have the English-Faroese dictionary at hand, but I will redirect your question to the Faroese debate forum: kjak(dot)fo

It would also be helpful for the translator to know how your phrase fits into a context. For instance, what exactly is the context of "dedicated"? Who is dedicated or is something dedicated and in what sense is someone or something dedicated?

At least, I can translate some of the words that I know are easily translatable:

historical: søgulig (pl-n)
    social: samfelagslig (society), sosial (general) (pl-n)
    linguistic: málfrøðilig (pl-n)
    political: politisk (pl-n)
    cultural: mentanarlig (pl-n)

These words are used if it is the case that the word "topic" is in plural and neutrum. I don't remember the word for topic, so I supposed it's gender was neutrum. If it is masculine, the adjectives mentioned above will have the ending "-ir", if the gender is feminine, they will have the ending "-ar".

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerthus

de
    Thank you. The context is the description of a forum about the Faroese, so dedicated to topics pertinent to the Faroese means people can discuss things about the Faroese there. I hope this helps, if more information is needed, it can be provided too.

Jónurin

Faroe Islands, Faroese
    With help from others, I have come up with something which I think captures the essence of your English phrase:

"Ætlað einum breiðum orðaskifti um søgulig, samfelagslig, málslig, politisk og
    mentanarlig viðurskifti, sum viðvíkja føroyingum"