farsi le seghe mentali

ricky165

italy
come posso dire in inglese "seghe mentali", in italiano si usa in maniera abbastanza, come dire, spicciola e volgare, farsi le seghe mentali quando uno pensa a cose che non li potrebbero mai succedere o quando si preoccupa eccessivamente. Ho pensato a "mental wanks" ma non so se sia giusto.

• MarinaB

Germany-GER/FRA
    Ciao a tutti

come si potrebbe tradurre "non farti pippe mentali" in inglese?

Contesto: per una cosa poco importante e urgente la persona si sta troppo impegnando, si sta complicando la vita... si fa dunque "le pippe mentali"... :)

L'espressione è intraducibile, ma forse c'è qualcosa di simile?

thank youu
    Marina

nonnoparmiro

Italian - Italy
    LOL
    It's actually complicated to explain.. let's say it's a juvenile slang form, but i wouldn't call it vulgar.
    In Engish it litterally means "mental wank" and it refers to the act of mulling over a bad thought for too long, or being too concerned for something trivial. Basically thinking too much ;)

AnnyPan

Italian
    For example, people use this term when you are wondering about a man/woman that you like... "Is him true?" "What does he feel about me?" "Is he really with her mother at the cinema on saturday night???"
    ...and so on :-D

nami90pieces_west_MCL

Milano, italiano
    Sto cercando di fare capire ad un ragazzo che riguardo al mio fisico, dal momento che sono un po' cicciottella, mi facico un sacco di 'seghe mentali'/paranoie/viaggi negativi...

Come si traduce?
    Ho letto prima che traducono 'seghe mentali' con 'mental masturbation', ma ci credo ben poco.

Chi mi aiuta?

arthurlee

Italian - Italy
    Per l'ennesima volta approfitto di un vecchio post...

Sto leggendo un libro dove a un certo punto il protagonista, che ne sta passando di tutti i colori ed è sempre sotto stress, decide di sfogarsi prendendo a pugni il sacco da boxe, andando a correre ecc., e a questo proposito spiega:
    "It was the only time I wasn't chewing myself into little mental bits"
    Il concetto mi sembra chiaro: solo in quel momento smetteva di rimuginare sui suoi problemi.
    Ma che ne dite di "Era l'unico momento in cui non mi facevo le seghe mentali"? Troppo libera?
    Grazie per i suggerimenti!

GavinW

British English
    Ma che ne dite di "Era l'unico momento in cui non mi facevo le seghe mentali"? Troppo libera?

Well done for resuscitating an unanswered and potentially productive thread.
    Too free? Not a bit of it. Just maybe not quite right, in the sense that the English expression does not contain a negative connotation, in itself, whereas the Italian expression definitely does. In other words, no, it is not a good idea to chew oneself up into mental bits, but the narrator is not necessarily expressing a negative opinion of (ie commenting on) the action itself (and its utility, shall we say).
    But I found your post stimulating. Let's hope for a good translation of seghe mentali in English.... More contexts, anyone?

arthurlee

Italian - Italy
    Hey Gavin thanks a lot.
    Anyway it just occurred to me that another way to convey that meaning could be "era l'unico momento in cui riuscivo a staccare la spina" and/or "la smettevo di torturarmi con i miei pensieri".
    I guess these expressions possess a less negative connotation compared with the "onanistic" one! :D;)

skerby

Italian Italy
    what about: "you should have a "no frills" attitude" ?
    Does anyone think this is right?

Sorry if I upped this old thread, I just thought it was relevant to the subject in debate

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Would the natives (and lc: honourary native:)) consider farsi le seghe mentali to be an equivalent and/or equally common expression?

Yes to both, and for some reason it sounds slightly ruder to me.

I see that LC was quicker to the draw than me - but we agree, and that's the good thing.

Why is 'pippe' less rude than 'seghe' ? I suspect because 'pippe' sounds more like funny talk, whereas 'seghe' is almost forensic.

Last edited:

Blechi

"Making a fuss over nothing" ? Is it like this?
    Not quite.
    Farsi le pippe mentali means to give too much importance to something. Am I clear?
    Yes to both, and for some reason it sounds slightly ruder to me.

I see that LC was quicker to the draw than me - but we agree, and that's the good thing.

Why is 'pippe' less rude than 'seghe' ? I suspect because 'pippe' sounds more like funny talk, whereas 'seghe' is almost forensic.

Forensic? Are you sure? I never heard the word "seghe" in a forensic context. Did you mean anything out of my reach? "Seghe" belongs to the same register as "wanker".

Did any English speaking Native ever hear the word "wanker" used in court or in minutes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Not quite.
    Farsi le pippe mentali means to give too much importance to something. Am I clear?
    If that were the case, "to fuss about nothing" would be perfect.

"Farsi le pippe mentali" means to go around in circles in your head , creating scenarios, anticipating reactions, going through 'what ifs' , in solitary self-comforting fashion, rather than choosing a more productive tack.
    Forensic? Are you sure? I never heard the word "seghe" in a forensic context. Did you mean anything out of my reach? "Seghe" belongs to the same register as "wanker".

Did any English speaking Native ever hear the word "wanker" used in court or in minutes?
    I beg your pardon - I meant it in a metaphorical sense.

Let's say then "more technical", when compared with the less serious term "pippe" , if you prefer.

gdbjoe

Italian
    Interesting thread, I'm actually looking for a good translation for "seghe mentali", and I was wondering if "mind games" could make it...

Googling I see mind games being referred as "An act or series of acts of calculated psychological manipulation, especially in order to confuse or intimidate.", can this be interpreted only from one person to another, or something someone could also do on him/herself?

Thanks, sorry my horrible grammar, waiting for a native to correct me ;-)

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    Interesting thread, I'm actually looking for a good translation for "seghe mentali", and I was wondering if "mind games" could make it...

Googling I see mind games being referred as "An act or series of acts of calculated psychological manipulation, especially in order to confuse or intimidate.", can this be interpreted only from one person to another, or something someone could also do on him/herself?

Thanks, sorry my horrible grammar, waiting for a native to correct me ;-)

La prima che hai detto secondo me, v. anche questa vecchia discussione sui mind games.

eiasu

italiano
    ops!
    I always translated ":warn:mind-fuck" in "seghe mentali"
    was I badly wrong with that translation?
    I never looked up into dictionaries, i assumed so,
    but now when I check some online dictionaries I find quite different translations.
    thank you
    Eiasu's 1st post

Teerex51

Italian
    Hi, I guess you know what they say about assuming... ;)
    Mental masturbation and :warn:mind-fuck are different things, neither one being especially healthy. One is self-inflicted, the other requires more people. :D

eiasu

italiano
    Hi, I guess you know what they say about [I AM NOT ALLOWED TO POST LINKS]... ;)
    ASS-uming .... that was told to me once upon ago ;)
    Mental masturbation and :warn:mind-fuck are different things, neither one being especially healthy. One is self-inflicted, the other requires more people. :D
    I do not understand, can you please specify what you mean by:
    the other requires more people. :D

thank you
    ciao
    eiasu

Ted Brasil

Italian
    Hi,

urban dictionary in my view is right suggesting mindfuck as the equivalent of 'sega mentale'. Mindfuck is defined as : An image that totally fucks with your mind. When you see it, you will shit bricks. As an example: WOW! That picture was a mindfuck!

GavinW

British English
    Mindfuck is defined as : An image that totally fucks with your mind. When you see it, you will shit bricks. As an example: WOW! That picture was a mindfuck!

Sorry, I don't think the example you cite would ever work as an illustration of sega mentale, as has already been argued by others in this thread (although it works fine as an illustration of mindfuck, of course). So I seriously take issue with urban dictionary's translation. (WR: 1; UD: 0...)

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Sorry, I don't think the example you cite would ever work as an illustration of sega mentale, as has already been argued by others in this thread (although it works fine as an illustration of mindfuck, of course). So I seriously take issue with urban dictionary's translation. (WR: 1; UD: 0...)

D'accordo in pieno!
    (... sempre da un punto di visto non madrelingua ma sono alquanto certo che abbiamo ragione in questo caso!)

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    But in the end, has the question been sorted out? It doesn't seem...
    "farsi le seghe mentali" doesn't match almost any of the translation provided, in my view. The meaning I have always given to this expression is "to take deep pleasure by over-thinking about whatever in order to indulge into personal thoughts or artificially and cunningly enhance the value of poor concepts by verbally complicating them"

Is there an English expression to expresses that concept? Thank you

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
    farsi le seghe mentali quando uno pensa a cose che non li potrebbero mai succedere o quando si preoccupa eccessivamente
    "Farsi le pippe mentali" means to go around in circles in your head , creating scenarios, anticipating reactions, going through 'what ifs' , in solitary self-comforting fashion, rather than choosing a more productive tack.
    For these contexts, perhaps “rumination” might be a relevant term. Unfortunately, the register is completely different...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo.../201002/rumination-problem-solving-gone-wrong
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-mechanics-rumination-and-repetitive-thinking

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    But in the end, has the question been sorted out? It doesn't seem...
    "farsi le seghe mentali" doesn't match almost any of the translation provided, in my view. The meaning I have always given to this expression is
    "to take deep pleasure by over-thinking about whatever in order to indulge into personal thoughts or artificially and cunningly enhance the value of poor concepts by verbally complicating them"
    Is there an English expression to expresses that concept? Thank you

To me, 'seghe mentali' requires a fairly vulgar register (as mentioned by tsoapm), but perhaps not always.

I've found a variety of translations:
    mental masturbation
    psych out

psych up
    stinkin' thinkin'
    mental saws (wow, that one was odd, to say the least!:D)
    neurotic thought process
    mental trip

(I like the one's in blue)

Here's a nice, full discussion of seghi mentali in Italian.

I think in a formal context, I'd go with something around the word "neurotic", informally, a variety of phrases, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Questa accezione di seghe mentali non l'avevo mai sentita... E sono d'accordo con Teerex più sopra quando dice che le seghe mentali "classiche" non coinvolgono altri, ma sono autoinflitte.
    Ciao
    p
    Hai mai sentito parlare un critico (di cinema, d'arte, di architettura, di design) ? La figura del CRITICO è una tipica figura che basa la sua prosopopea sul "rafforzare", attraverso astuzie verbali, giri di parole, estensione di concetti, allungamento della broda etc. concetti base quali "questo è bello" " questo è brutto" "questo e alto" "questo è basso" etc.etc. che se espressi con un linguaggio naturale, privo di 800 citazioni e alambicchi e di SEGHE MENTALI, sarebbero più comprensibili e immediati. Ma poi si perderebbe il senso del "voi siete ignoranti e non capite" che ai critici tanto piace. Ecco, tra gli addetti ai lavori, questi personaggi sono spesso descritti come "segaioli", ovvero persone che hanno fatto della sega mentale un'arte oratoria. ;)

sorry66

English, England
    As far as critics go, you can say 'jabbering critics'.
    The verb is 'jabber' and so is the noun.
    Don't listen to the jabber of reviewers.
    I don't want to hear critics jabbering on about art.

Also, still on the critic theme, maybe 'getting off on your own ideas' or 'getting off on yourself'?

"hai mai sentito parlare delle “seghe mentali”? è un termine volgare ed efficace, per indicare i pensieri non desiderati che vorresti fermare o “spostare”."
    I found this on a psychology website. This is more like obsession - 'your thoughts are going round in circles'

sorry66

English, England
    To Lorena?? 'jabbering' is not the same as 'your thoughts going round in circles'!

The following is fairly vulgar:
    Also, still on the critic theme, maybe 'getting off on your own ideas' or 'getting off on yourself'?

Sorry, I have three posts above on different aspects of the question. I think you've mixed them up, Lorena.;)

Last edited: