fart = pedo?

< Previous | Next >

rmawhorter

English - Canada
I'm wondering what the connotations of the word "pedo" are. The word reference forum says it's vulgar. How vulgar is it and is there a more politically correct word that can be used in social gatherings like 'toot' or 'passing gas' in English? Is it worse than the word fart in English?

I'd prefer answers in English if at all possible.

Thanks!

• gengo

American English
    In my experience, the register is very similar between the two words. Cultural differences being what they are, it may be slightly more acceptable to take about flatulence in some Spanish-speaking countries than in English-speaking countries, but if you do talk about it, I think you can say pedo whenever you would say fart.

Ventosear is another synonym, with a bit higher register.

ManPaisa

Banned
    AmE (New England) / español (Colombia)
    Depends on the country, but in general I would recommend that you don´t use it in polite conversation.

Two alternative terms are gas and flatulencia. I'm sure there are others, especially local ones, such as pluma in Mexico.

zapata pirate

Canarian Spanish
    Hi, also you can use "flatulencia". In Canary Islands we use, in a coloquial way, "tirarse un cuesco", also if you use the same word "pedo" in a diminutive mode "pedito"; example "se me escapó un pedito", maybe it'll smell the same but it'll be more polite.
    I don't know if in Canada the thing works in the same way... I hope so.
    Bye

kiwilandia

Spanish-spain
    I'm wondering what the connotations of the word "pedo" are. The word reference forum says it's vulgar. How vulgar is it and is there a more politically correct word that can be used in social gatherings like 'toot' or 'passing gas' in English? Is it worse than the word fart in English?

I'd prefer answers in English if at all possible.

Thanks!

kiwilandia

Spanish-spain
    "Pedo" it's the word you would use on a normal conversation. If you'd like to be extremely politically correct you could say "tengo gases", but that is so politically correct that it might sound ridiculous.

tabyyy

English, Spanish
    I never realized the correct way to say this is "pedo"! I've always pronounced it as "peo." "Oye chico que peste! Quien tiró un peo?!" I'm Cuban, so we tend to leave out d's :)

I don't think it's "vulgar," but if you're talking in a formal setting I don't think I'd use the term.

< Previous | Next >