fascia di ingombro

< Previous | Next >

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
I'm studying for the driving text in Italian, having looked through the glossary of a bilingual manual this term was listed.

It took a bit of research to understand what it refers to. Now I understand, but I'm not sure how to express it exactly in English.

Here's an example:

Quando si traina un rimorchio, bisogna considerare che nelle curve la fascia di ingombro è maggiore.

It's referring to the trajectory that's occupied by the vehicle, almost like the wake of a boat. I'm not sure if there's a term for this in English.

The best I can think of is: The path occupied by the vehicle.

• __Tony__

English - American
    It's referring to the trajectory that's occupied by the vehicle, almost like the wake of a boat..The best I can think of is: The path occupied by the vehicle.
    "fascia di ingombro" is also similar to how the term "footprint" is sometimes used. One might say that towing a trailer increases the vehicle's footprint substantially. Perhaps even better would be to speak of the "footprint traced" by the vehicle, which gets back to the idea of a wake behind a boat.

Putting this together, here's another possible translation for the original sentence:

When towing a trailer, it must be taken into account that in bends the footprint traced by the vehicle is greater

london calling

UK English
    Put simply, the space a vehicle plus trailer occupies when negotiating a bend is far greater than the space which would be occupied if you were driving the vehicle without the trailer.

< Previous | Next >