fast forward/speed up

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

My friend told me the expression "Can you speed up the movie" is incorrect when I want to omit some part of the movie which I think it's very boring. She said I should say "Can you fast forward". But I looked up the phrase in dictionary.reference.com, the term is specifically for tape recorder or cassette deck, my question is that if I play the movie on my computer by using a kind of software and can I also say "Can you fast forward" to someone who is controlling the computer to omit the part I don't like?

Thanks a lot

• Wil_Estel

Your friend is right. You don't 'speed up' the movie. It's not a car. You can't speed it up.

Another word you can use is 'to skip.' For example, "Can we skip this part? It's really boring."

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    You don't 'speed up' the movie. It's not a car. You can't speed it up.
    You can (or could with films that are frame-by-frame on tape) play them in a faster speed than they are supposed to be watched in, some of the old silent movies were shown in speed-up tempo, and I remember that sometimes when watching a movie on tv back before the movies was on CD/DVD the technician had put on a film in the wrong speed. That was when the film was on tape such as this: http://tinyurl.com/9drzm84

< Previous | Next >