Fast movement differences - dash, race, tear and pop, nip ..

knorbi

Hungarian
Hello,

I tried to figure out what's the difference between these words: dash, race, tear, nip, pop, zip, whizz and dart.
I've already realized that nip, pop, zip, whizz and dart are used for shorter distance.

I interested in both British and American English, just let me know which you're referring to.

• owlman5

English-US
    All of these are colorful verbs with one basic meaning: to move quickly. You'll likely hear "nip" used more in the UK, but all the rest are common enough here in the US. "Dart" often implies "to move suddenly into the midst of something": He darted into the heavy traffic. "Pop" often means "to show up suddenly somewhere": She popped into the store for some milk. "Race, tear, zip, whiz, and dash" can all be used for motion on legs or in vehicles.

By the way, Knorbi, welcome to the forum!

languagelearner123

English-United States
    Zip, pop, and whizz are all onomatopoeias (words that sound like the action). They are especially descriptive because you can almost hear the action taking place. I live in the USA so I don't use nip either.

knorbi

Hungarian
    Thanks for the answers!

Well, now it's getting to be more clear. languagelearner123 said that these words are onomatopoeias but what can make a these sounds. I guess that a bee can whiz (otherwise with double or single z?), though I have no idea what can make a zip noise (maybe apart from the fastener on jeans). Can you write some collocations with them? Or give me an online collocation dictionary as I didn't find any.

< Previous | Next >