fastidious movie taste?

< Previous | Next >

Ninjaneer

South Africa (Afrikaans)
Hi there
We have a disagreement about proper use of the word fastidious. It was used in the following sentance:

"Heartbreakers is a great movie! I watched it with Kim, and she liked it. That's saying a lot, because she is very fastidious about movies."

One person argues that fastidious is interchangeable with "hard to please" and therefore it is used correctly in this context.

The other person argues that fastidious has a connotation to attention to detail and hair-splitting perfectionism, rather than to a "narrow or specific taste", and therefore it is not a good word to use in this case.

I would like to hear the opinions of the experts on this.

Thank you for reading my post

• Copyright

American English
    WR dictionary: fastidious: adjective, 1 very attentive to accuracy and detail. 2 very concerned about cleanliness.

I think you may be hard to please in terms of something being acceptably clean or accurate, but fastidious itself does not directly mean "hard to please."

Ninjaneer

South Africa (Afrikaans)
    Thanks Copyright!

I appreciate your input. I'm hoping to get an additional opinion (hopefully to back you up), becuase one of the parties in this debate does not easily concede and may insist on the testimony of many witnesses :p

Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >