Fat/overweight/plump

VAN_J

Español-Mexico
Hello.
Can anybody, please, tell me how to say someone is fat/overweight/plump without being offensive to a friend? In Spanish we have "un poco llenito" (not offensive)
My try:
a bit overweight
a little bit plump.
chubby

Is there any other phrase?

Thank you

• Damnjoe

U.S. English
    "You are a little overweight" or "a little bit heavy" is the least offensive. At least in America, where people are sensitive about that kind of thing, you generally have to try to say it indirectly, like "we should go to the workout gym more often" or something like that (unless you know them well).

It is a funny custom, I know.

Chubby and plump, while signifying that he or she is just a little bit overweight, have negative connotations.

inib

British English
    If you want to be really euphemistic, you can say a person is "cuddly". Otherwise, I reckon "plump" or "plumpish" are the least critical.

Wandering JJ

British English
    Hombre ¿tienes las agallas de decirlo?

Women may speak of 'teddy bears' but it's a brave man that speaks even of 'cuddly'.

Déjame saber si sigues viviendo después de decir algo parecido...

inib

British English
    Hombre ¿tienes las agallas de decirlo?

Women may speak of 'teddy bears' but it's a brave man that speaks even of 'cuddly'.

Déjame saber si sigues viviendo después de decir algo parecido...
    JJ, I agree with you and Sprachliebhaber, that no reference to overweight (however slight) is acceptable if addressing a person, but that's different from referring to a third person. I'm not quite sure what the OP's intention was.

scotu

Chicago English
    Please note that this obsession with the offensiveness of calling someone fat is largely an Anglo thing. Non-English speakers do not seem to have the same chubby-is-bad sense that many of us English speakers have.

Sunshine on Leith

Spain's Spanish
    Please note that this obsession with the offensiveness of calling someone fat is largely an Anglo thing. Non-English speakers do not seem to have the same chubby-is-bad sense that many of us English speakers have.
    The fact that the OP is from Mexico contradicts your statement... and I'm from Spain, I would be if not offended, a bit hurt!

Diplomacy is an international language!

Sunshine on Leith

Spain's Spanish
    The fact the the Mexican OP has stated that saying "a little plump" is not offensive (in Mexico) I think maybe adds weight to my suggestion (pun not intended)
    Why is she looking for something else then? Anyway, I spoke for myself too. At the end of the day, it depends on who says it and what the intention behind the comment is.

What if you said 'un poco llenito' to a morbidly obese person? Would they think you're taking the piss?

scotu

Chicago English
    Try one of these if you want to avoid being offensive:
    A little bit of extra weight makes you even sexier.
    You put it on in all the right places.
    You've never looked better in those shorts.
    It just gives me more to love.

What if you said 'un poco llenito' to a morbidly obese person?
    If I say that to my obese American friend, she would be both hurt and offended, but if I say that to my obese Mexican friend she would take it as I was saying "pleasantly plump"

Last edited:

Homero

USA--English
    Ummmm, Brazilians have become sensitive about it--especially women. Back in the 1960s, however, "gordo" bordered on a compliment.

Hey, Sunshine! How about voluptuous?

Homero

USA--English
    Excellent--learned that one at the Smithsonian National Gallery of Art. What's with this worship of the Twiggy shape (or lack thereof)?

k-in-sc

U.S. English
    This thread was started in 2009, and the OP didn't say whether this would be for a man or a woman. Either way, I have to agree with Sprach that nothing good could possibly come from mentioning a friend's weight to them.

< Previous | Next >