...fat pink Persian torn slumbering, rousing...

< Previous | Next >

Starfrown

English - US
I came across the following in Ray Bradbury's short story "Skeleton":

"I have cultivated my inner organs as if they were thoroughbred dogs, cats, and other animals. My stomach is a fat pink Persian torn slumbering, rousing at intervals to purr, mew, growl, and cry for chocolate titbits."

Do you think "torn slumbering, rousing" here is an elliptical usage for "torn from alternating slumbering and rousing" or something along those lines?

Thanks in advance.

• luxepiggy

English - USA
    Hello, I think you've picked up an erroneously transcribed version - I see another version of that passage: "a fat pink Persian tom" which makes a whole lot more sense ;)

Starfrown

English - US
    It's the Amazon Kindle version. I googled that excerpt to get confirmation on it, but apparently Google's digitization process made the same error as Amazon's--even for several different editions of the book. Well, lesson learned; next time, I'll check the actual image files of the pertinent pages through Google Books. In my defense, Bradbury does get creative with his language sometimes, which is the only reason I thought it might be what he intended in the first place. I must say, I love the convenience of digital books, but the last two I've read have been riddled with errors. Enough with my rambling! Thanks all!

< Previous | Next >