Fat?

< Previous | Next >

gambheyhey

Chinese
In most business technology organizations, if budget push comes to cutback shove, "there's not a lot of fat," says Rebecca Wettemann, an analyst at Nucleus Research. U.S. IT jobs were cut substantially in the last downturn, with IT unemployment shooting above 5%, high for a professional job segment. While IT employment has clawed back to above pre-slump levels, it's hardly been a hiring binge at most companies.

What does "fat" mean here? I thought it's "profit", but it doesn't fit in here. Can you help me? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    No, it doesn't really mean "profit", per se. It means that the company doesn't have a lot of room to manoeuvre, financially. Their budgets are lean enough that if the business isn't consistently successful and generating cashflow, then job cutbacks may be necessary. In other words, they don't have a lot of leeway between success and having to lay people off.

se16teddy

English - England
    The fat around my tummy doesn't do much for me: it just sits there in case I happen to need it one day. I suppose that in the context of the quotation, 'fat' refers to employees who are not fully utilized: the quote is saying that most IT professionals are working to 100% of their capacity.

< Previous | Next >