Father-to-the-bride speech

< Previous | Next >

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone!

I know that there is no such thing referred to as a father-to-the-bride speech at a wedding and that it should be < father-of-the-bride speech>

But, let’s say, hypothetically, that there is a certain people with a tradition that the father should make a speech directed to his own daughter at the wedding. In that case, would it make sense to say “he was making his father-to-the bride speech?”

Thanks

• Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't say so. Using that approach, his other speech would be the Father-to-the-wedding-guests speech. Not that I'm particularly familiar with wedding rituals.

sdgraham

USA English
    Since you're speaking hypothetically, you could call it anything you like since terms embedded in English often are outside normal usage.

But, like Copyright, I wouldn't bet on it.

JustKate

There is some logic to "father-to-the-bride speech," but the problem is that because "father of the bride" is the term that is invariably used, replacing "of" with "to" would simply confuse people and not convey any information. They'd just think whoever said it had made a slip of the tongue. And the other problem is that it's difficult to name a tradition that doesn't, in fact, exist. ;) I realize that you're just doing this as a sort of exercise, High on grammar, but if you consider the traditions in your own culture, I think you can see that this is difficult to do.

If there really were such a tradition, it would probably have some rather boring name. For example, there is a tradition that the father of the bride dances with his daughter at the reception that traditionally follows the wedding ceremony, and it's called "the father-daughter dance."

< Previous | Next >