Fault - Flaw - Defect

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
I wonder if you help me to fill in the following blank:
Example: You said that we have to buy an office to improve our business; you are right, but there was a…………in your suggestion; we don’t have enough money!
a) fault
b) flaw
c) defect
-----------------------
[I have written this example myself]
[I think just the choice “a” cannot work here and the both choices “b” and “c” work]

Last edited:
  • A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    I would say "flaw".
    Thanks Hildy1
    But do you mean that the words "fault" and "defect" cannot be used here at all? Have you ever heard such a concept using these two words too?
    For example: your suggestion has a (fault / defect)

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It might be possible also to say "fault". I would probably not say "defect", which does not seem quite as suitable. Other people may very well have different opinions.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    A fault or flaw can be concrete or abstract. A defect usually has to be concrete. A plan is abstract, therefore it will have a fault or a flaw.

Elwintee

England English
    I wonder if you help me to fill in the following blank:
    Example: You said that we have to buy an office to improve our business; you are right, but there was a…………in your suggestion; we don’t have enough money!
    a) fault
    b) flaw
    c) defect
    -----------------------
    [I have written this example myself]
    [I think just the choice “a” cannot work here and the both choices “b” and “c” work]
    I agree that 'flaw' is the best choice, but personally I would not use any of these alternatives in the sentence as given. I would say: "You said that we have to buy an office to improve our business; you are right, but your suggestion is flawed / faulty; we don’t have enough money!"
    I would not use 'defect' at all.

< Previous | Next >