favorecer - la seleccion natural puede favorecer la inversión en alimentación materna

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by emilia1, Apr 12, 2014.

1. emilia1 Member

Spanish
    Hi
    Could anyone help me translate this sentence in a medical text, please?
    "Trivers and Williard proponían que la seleccion natural puede favorecer la inversión en alimentación materna, discriminando entre varones y hembras favoreciendo a las hijas en épocas difíciles y a los hijos en situaciones de bonanza.

My translation is:
    Trivers and Williard suggested that natural selection may enable the inversion to breast feeding and distinguish sons from daughters (in favour of daughters at hard times and sons in prosperity )
    Thanks in advance

2. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    I'm not a medical expert, but maybe:

... might favour/encourage the inversion of the breastfeeding pattern, discriminating between males and females, favouring daughters in difficult times and sons in times of plenty.

3. steemic

steemic Senior Member

Pitman, New Jersey
    English (US)
    Trivers and Williard proposed that natural selection may favor inversion in breast feeding, drawing a distinction between sons and daughters (favoring daughters in times of difficulty and sons in times of prosperity).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  4. emilia1 Member

Spanish
    Thankssssssssssssssssssssssss
    Both sound much better

5. wordcrafter82 Senior Member

British English
    Chez is actually correct here, 'inversion' refers to the inverse relation between the feeding patterns towards sons and daughters and not investing or investment, the mother gives more to daughters in times of shortage and inversely gives more to the sons in times of excess

Trivers and Williard advocates that the natural choice may favor the premisce of the inverse relation when it comes to breastfeeding attitudes, descriminating between males and females (favoring daughters in times of difficulty and sons in times of excess).

6. emilia1 Member

Spanish
    I agrre with your translation and I`m really grateful for your big help
    thanks to all of you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014