Favorite Words or Phrases

gatogab

Banned
Español
A tonga da mironga do kabulete.
"É uma expressão que não quer dizer nada de bom. Diz-se que em áfrica, quando um africano a diz a outro, parece que as tribos entram em guerras terríveis. E que comem o figado um do outro. Esta última palavra da expressão: "kabuletê", tem algo a ver com mãe de um deles..."

• Heredianista

English - USA
    A tonga da mironga do kabulete.
    Re:
    "É uma expressão que não quer dizer nada de bom. Diz-se que em áfrica, quando um africano a diz a outro, parece que as tribos entram em guerras terríveis. E que comem o figado um do outro. Esta última palavra da expressão: "kabuletê", tem algo a ver com mãe de um deles..."
    Incredibly cool. Thank you for sharing this.

(They don't seriously eat each others' livers, do they?)

And who would you use "A Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê" in context? Would you say it to a friend, as if to say "Here comes trouble"?

Thanks again!

~genève

p.s. For non-Portuguese speakers:

roughly means:

"It's an expression that doesn't mean anything good. It's said that in Africa, when one African says this to another, it looks like tribes are going to get into terrible wars. And that they each each others' livers. The last word in the phrase, "kabuletê," has something to do with the mother of one of them..."

Heredianista

English - USA
    Re: "A tonga da mironga do kabuletê"

I found this: "A Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê" on Wikipedia.

I also found a wonderful video on Youtube of Vinicius de Morães & Toquinho on RAI-TV in Italy when Toquinho was SO young... (in 1972).

The music is fabulous,

and Vinicius speaks quite a bit of Italian!
    (To the sheer delight of the live, on-set audience.)

~g

P.S. You can find this video by searching Youtube for: "De Moraes and Toquinho - A tonga da mironga do kabuletè" and selecting the second video.

The intro text is: "Vinicius De Moraes and Toquinho are guests of italian tv show "Senza Rete", introduced by Paolo Vilaggio, after a medley of their major songs they play "A tonga da mironga do kabuletè"(in italian) 1972."

Note: It is not the first video (with a url ending in 'C7g9D5VApxE') — although in that one, you can hear Vinicius speaking in Spanish!

Blechi

After spending a few years in Italy, also called "lo stivale" (the boot), I wasn't able to live without the word capito? (You get it? / Are you with me?). I love "capito?" because it is one word only. And I always use it, no matter what language.
    In Spanish I like piel de toro (a nick name again, this time for "Spain").
    In FrenchI like the sound of "j'adore".
    In German I like "alles zusammen" (all together), "krankenhaus" (hospital) and "unmöglich" (impossible). Just for their sound.

In Catalan I like almost everything so I leave a refrain: "Si vols esser ben servit, fest'en tu mateix el llit" (If you want a good treat make your bed yourself)
    and the title of a work by Tapies: "El despertar sobtat" (Sudden wake up). And by the way look at it!

I am not sure of my Catalan spelling.

;)

Blechi

Por norma general me gustan las palabras en español de origen árabe que empiezan por "a" y pronunciando las zetas interdentales (como en España).

Azucena
    Azahar
    Aceite
    Acequia
    Alhelí
    Azúcar
    ¡Fenomenal! Tienes un montón de razón. Son palabras preciosas.
    Y también suenan de maravilla:

alféizar (me gusta muchísimo)
    alcahueta
    alcalde
    aljibe

En español encontré una palabra "sobrado" que es difícil traducir a otros idiomas sin usar paráfrasis. El harén a menudo se esncontraba en el sobrado. Un pueblo en Galicia se llama sobrado de los Monjes y no es fácil explicar lo de sobrado.

Blechi

Incredibly cool. Thank you for sharing this.

(They don't seriously eat each others' livers, do they?)

And who would you use "A Tonga da Mironga do Kabuletê" in context? Would you say it to a friend, as if to say "Here comes trouble"?

Thanks again!

~genève

p.s. For non-Portuguese speakers:

roughly means:

"It's an expression that doesn't mean anything good. It's said that in Africa, when one African says this to another, it looks like tribes are going to get into terrible wars. And that they each eat each others' livers. The last word in the phrase, "kabuletê," has something to do with the mother of one of them..."
    ;)

Spharadi

Spanish
    In Russian I like (sorry for my transliteration)
    Tschus Tschus, means slowly.
    Shurry murry (or something like this) and it means "to bill and coo", "to whisper sweet nothings" . Of course it's a onomatopoeic expression imitating doves.
    There was a bar/restaurant in St. Petersburg with this name, maybe it's still there.

Spharadi

Spanish
    It's not a confusion. It would be quite fantastic to confuse German with Russian...
    You write чуть-чуть and for foreign ears ть sounds slightly like an s, because of the soft sign.

Last edited:

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Some really nice sounding Hungarian words [with their approximative pronunciation]:
    csillan [ʧillɑn] - twinkle, sparkle
    szellő [sɛllɜ:] - breeze
    fátyol [fɑtjol] - veil
    mosoly [moʃoj] - smile
    pillangó [pillango:] - butterfly

and some others:
    Alhambra; butterfly (also: flutter-by:)); Ausstellung, Wissenschaft; coquette, faiselle, foudroyant; farfalla, bellino, stella ...

Heredianista

English - USA
    Mariposa (butterfly in Spanish). Italians love this word. I do not understand why but they do.
    Perhaps because in Italian, 'posare' can mean "to gently alight" – exactly as a butterfly does – so this word, "mariposa,' might conjure an image such as:

"Mari alights (settles gently) ... [on the flower...]"

Just a thought...

~g

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I know mariposa from Italian quiz programmes (they do seem to like it) but (not being Italian) I prefer ajilimójili - a very soft sounding word.
    (One could imagine a meaning like "woollen pillow" or something similar to it!:))

gatogab

Banned
    Español

roots of the word

super- "above",​

cali- "beauty",​

fragilistic- "delicate",​

expiali- "to atone",​

and docious- "educable",​

with the sum of these parts signifying roughly:

:)"Atoning for educability through delicate beauty.":)

Last edited:

gatogab

Banned
    Español
    I know mariposa from Italian quiz programmes (they do seem to like it) but (not being Italian) I prefer ajilimójili - a very soft sounding word.
    (One could imagine a meaning like "woollen pillow" or something similar to it!:))
    Mariposa è bella parola, ma anche farfalla si fa apprezzare.
    Io chiamo "farfallina" a mia nipote è lei e tutta contenta e felice.:)

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Gatogab, this "Atoning for educability through delicate beauty." sounds extremely nice! (Whatever it may mean...:))
    Farfallina è sempre una bella parola! (Anche se non è per una nipote carinissima.:))

olaszinho

Central Italian
    Hi all,
    Portuguese has the nicest words ever :)
    Borboleta (butterfly)
    Names of trees are also beautiful
    oliveira
    figueira
    limoeiro
    roseira
    Luar is also very romantic
    Hungarian has nice words, too
    kutya, cica, no'', férfiak, lanyok
    My favourite Italian word is: acquerello. Coccinella is nice, too
    What about some French words like: coquelicot, rénard, fleur, coquille....

Arrius

English, UK
    Like a cat on a hot tin roof o'clock

The German equivalent of this expression, which is the title of a Tenessee Williams play, is Die Katze auf dem heissen Blechdach, which is rather staccato and sounds more agitated. However the title used in Spain and Argentina, unlike the German and English, doesn't mention the temperature of the roof: La gata sobre el tejado de zinc. And the French title, which does flow more smoothly, La chatte sur un toit brûlant, says that the roof is burning hot but not what it's made of (which the cat would probably not be very interested in, anyway).

But I wanted to mention my favourite German word. It is Würstchen (sausage) diminutive of Wurst, a word that has penetrated American but not British vocabulary. Würstchen requires considerable oral gymnastics to pronounce. It turns up in a mouth-watering line from Heine in a poem about his homeland, Germany, from which he was exiled at the time: Es jauchzen die Würstchen im spritzenden Fett (The sausages rejoice in the spitting fat). That is my favourite German sentence.

Arrius

English, UK
    Mariposa è bella parola, ma anche farfalla si fa apprezzare.
    Io chiamo "farfallina" a mia nipote è lei e tutta contenta e felice.:)
    The English translation, butterfly, despite the title of the Puccini opera, is not phonetically a very beautiful word. But sometimes it is transformed in the mouths of children and whimsical adults into flutterby (flutter by), which is quite lyrical. My old English master maintained that shovel was the most beautiful word in the language.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    A few years ago I worked with a guy called Elmer. To me, since I do not have the same background, Elmer sounded very cool, while to most Americans this name sounds ridiculous.

(He himself said that living through teenage years with the name Elmer builds character:))

Arrius

English, UK
    A few years ago I worked with a guy called Elmer. To me, since I do not have the same background, Elmer sounded very cool, while to most Americans this name sounds ridiculous.

(He himself said that living through teenage years with the name Elmer builds character:))
    Elmer Fudd is, of course, the bald-headed nerd with the stutter who is always trying to shoot Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, but it might have been worse if your workmate's dad had called him Sue as in the Johnny Cash song.

orsopittore

Español, Costarricense
    I love the elongated sound of double consonants in Italian.
    There are nouns that just sound nice to the ear, like these words 2 of my favorite words in Italian.
    Pioggia=Rain
    Polpette=Meatballs
    I'm in love with these sounds.

Montesacro

Italiano
    German: gleichgewicht (balance)
    Serbian/Croatian: prst (finger)

The English translation, butterfly, despite the title of the Puccini opera, is not phonetically a very beautiful word. But sometimes it is transformed in the mouths of children and whimsical adults into flutterby (flutter by), which is quite lyrical.
    I remember a play on words in an old Genesis song (supper's ready, 1972):

(...)
    If you go down to Willow Farm,
    to look for butterflies, flutterbyes, gutterflies
    (...)

Vasiliy

Belgian Dutch
    Russian: Можно/Mozjno (can)
    Russian: Ничего/Nichego (nothing)
    Russian: Никого/Nikogo (No one)
    English: Comrade
    German: Wir sind (we are)
    German Achtung (attention)

Smithy73

UK
    English - England
    My favourite line/phrase comes from a film:
    "Right all of you, outside, 5 minutes."

Favourite French word:
    Salopard - I like the way that the r rolls at the end when said. Like saloparrrrr.

gatogab

Banned
    Español
    Del foro castellano-italiano:
    "Sogno nel cassetto" considero esta expresión una bellísima forma de 'coleccionar anhelos insatisfechos' , que se encuentran ahí por si algún día... ...

Bashti

Español castellano.
    When I was twelve or thirteen years old, one of my English teachers, an Irish nun, made us learn by heart and recite a poem by Tennyson: The Lady of Shalott. I loved it, specially these two verses:

Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
    Little breezes dusk and shiver...

I could actually "see" the island by the river and feel the breeze in my skin.

Banbha

Irish & English
    Very interesting thread!
    We had a competition on the radio before for the nicest word in the Irish language and 'siosarnach' won. Pronounced like 'shishernuck' which basically describes the whistling sound of the wind as it blows through a gap in the window etc... :)

rainbow84uk

English, UK
    Have really enjoyed everyone's contributions so far!

I love the way certain Catalan words feel in my mouth, even some that aren't particularly beautiful in their sound or meaning.

For example, guardiola, which means 'money box' (I get to say this a lot since it's also the surname of the FC Barcelona manager, Pep Guardiola...who is very beautiful!)

And even better, farmaciola, meaning 'first-aid kit'.

There's just something about the length of the words and the wonderful openness of the stressed 'o' and then the final 'ə' that is so enjoyable to say!

poetpenpassion

Russian - Russia
    Hello! How are you? I`am fine, thank you! My favorite word is menstruation (in all of languages). I love this word, the sound of this word is like a music for me. Thank you for the interesting theme. English language is very beautiful. Yelena, Russia, Moscow.

Nicodi2

Français
    Another opinion, dear psychoanalysts:

In Mandarin, the word meimei sounds lovely to me:)

In Mexican version of Spanish, pendejada always makes laugh...

In French, palpiter gives me a real thrill!

In Catalan, I think maduixa is a good one...

In English, Mmh, let's say: juggernaut?

Salutations;)

irinet

Romanian
    Hello, everyone!
    I like the regional verb "a se piti" meaning "to hide" with the accent on the 'ti'.
    I also like "Je m'appele" because it rhymes with my name, Irinel.
    I love the word ''rose''. In my language we have ''trandafir''; it is too masculine while in English, you use it for girls' names.

Harry Batt

USA English
    The word reference is rather ordinary, but in morse code it is a dandy word which swings like no other expression. I'll post the sound of the dots and dashes--dits and dahs--and you will get the swing of it once you have the speed. Par ici: Di-dah-dit Dit! di-di-dah-dit dit di-dah-dit-dit! dah-di dah-di-dah-dit! DIT!
    R E F E R E N C E

Last edited:

Thomas W.

Deutsch
    Some of my favorite German words:
    zappenduster
    Milchmädchenrechnung
    Schmuddelwetter
    graue Eminenz
    Gesamtkunstwerk
    Zahldeppen

Last edited: