Favorite Words or Phrases

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by Jeremy Sharpe, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Eejit
    Gobshite
    Gobdaw
    Gombeen

We have a lot of good ones in Ireland.

2. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    Spanish:
    Eso no es nada claro.

Irish:
    Céard a tharla do an t-am nuair a bhí tú sásta? (What happened to the time when you were happy?)

Polish:
    Piękne słowa mówią wszystko lecz nie zmienią nic. (Beautiful words "explain" everything but change nothing)
    Dosyć życia tylko snem. (Tired of life being only a dream)
    Słowa nic nie zmienią a jutro trzeba żyć. (Words don't change anything, and tomorrow one must live)

Czech:
    Není možný vrátit čas. (It's not possible to turn back time.)

3. Minnie121728

Minnie121728 Senior Member

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    The beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is an exceptional phrase...and i liked your thread very much...

4. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    I think i like everything told in Italian...the way they speak, the accents' the words...i love it...but one of my favorites words in spanish (my language) is "ALEVOSIA"...

5. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    isn't a french word?

6. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    jajajajajaj, i liked your thread, i find it so funny...by the way im from DR, and i can see you were riding in our guaguas'....

7. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    what does really means this phrase "laugh my ass off", i've seen this one thousand times in fb but i do not understand i know it's something thay may be funny but im not sure, if you can tell in spanish would be better so i could understand it without any doubts...thanks...

8. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    Ahorrar means "SAVE MONEY"...or anything you could just save.

9. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    is this supposed to be funny?

10. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    i don't know a word in portuguese/brazilian, but i like to hear them when they speak, i love it it sounds very sensual to me, i would like to learn to speak it someday...

11. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    When you laugh so hard your ass falls off. A slight exaggeration, I'd say...

12. kloie Senior Member

Texas
    English
    It means when something is very funny and you laugh very hard.

13. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    ok, now its clear to me, thank guys...its just that sometimes i can't understand any phrase of a foreign language...

14. Istriano

Istriano Senior Member

Croatian
    lua - the Moon
    luau - beach party at moonshine
    luar - moonshine
    Luana - a name of a girl (MoonAna)
    Luanda - capital of Angola (MoonGoes)

The Moon is everywhere :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  15. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian
    Today I've learnt a new nice German word: Kopftuchpflicht. ;)

16. Minnie121728

Santo Domingo
    SPANISH
    Ok..but what it means?

17. Pretty_Gaella

Pretty_Gaella Member

Naga City, Bicol, Philippines
    Filipino, English & Spanish
    I really love this Spanish word: "numero equivocado" Though I need to talk to the right person but everytime I encoutered a Wrong Number.. after saying that word, there's always a :) in my face. I don't know why.

18. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    My favourite word, at the moment is plámásaí (Hiberno-Norman) &/or the verb plámásing that has been derived from it, a sort of Anglo/Hiberno-Norman hybrid.
    Links (to related WR forum discussions) added for those curious to know what it actually means.

19. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Yes, it is French.
    Romanians have it, too: "bulevard", meaning a larger and more important street.

20. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Minnie121728 (#204) might care to contemplate Byron's words:

I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,
    Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,
    And sounds as if it should be writ on satin,
    With syllables which breathe of the sweet South,
    And gentle liquids gliding all so pat in,
    That not a single accent seems uncouth,
    Like our harsh northern whistling, grunting guttural,
    Which we’re obliged to hiss, and spit, and sputter all.

21. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I really love the Latin phrase: Amor Vincit Omnia (Love Conquers All). I forgot where it originally came from, but I think it is the tile of one of Carvaggios paintings. It is one of the most beautiful phrases in my opinion. (I think it is really Omnia Vincit Amor in its original form).

22. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

LilianaB

Virgil, Ecl. 10.69, yes "omnia vincit amor".

Great virtuoso that he was, Virgil turned this on his head in the Georgics: labor omnia vincit [or vicit] improbus: "nasty, grinding toil takes over everything".

23. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Thank you -- the second one is great too. (I think nasty, constant toil may take away everything -- that is of any value).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  24. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Thanks Liliana, and yes it is indeed the title of one of Caravaggio's paintings, now (I believe) in Berlin.

Blessings for the New Year.

25. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Thank you. For you too. And, Happy New Year to Everyone.

26. germanbz Senior Member

Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    I love an unfortunatly old-fashioned word in Spanish, or al least little used nowadays. I mean the word: "Circunspecto". I like that succesion of sounds K/P/T. In Catalan language I love one expression to indicate the moment of the day equivalent to the sunset. The expression is "a poqueta nit". It could be translate to "at little night"

27. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    I love the word stam סתם in hebrew :p theres no easy way to deliver it in english, it acts as when you want to say something as an example, or with no importance, or a retro-correct of things.
    It still doesnt deliver it, but its the most common use of it...

28. Halfdan Member

Canadian English
    I always crack up when I hear the Swedish vad fan [ˈvɑː ˈfɑːn]. It essentially means "what the f**k", but for the record, I liked it before I knew the meaning.

29. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian
    I am here again to share another beautiful German word I learnt recently and became my favourite one.

Kindergeburtstagsnicherscheinungsgebühr - it is the money you are obliged to pay if your child does not show up at a birthday party of another kid

30. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    This is interesting ... I can confirm it. Many years ago I used this word when speaking with my Italian friends, as I didn't know the Italian equivalent (farfalla). Their spontaneous reaction was something like "what a beautiful word".

I like some Spanish toponyms, especially those that consist of more than one word:
    Santiago de Compostela
    Sierra Nevada
    Santa Mónica
    Espíritu Santo
    Buenos Aires
    Última Esperanza
    Río Grande
    Río Bravo del Norte

etc ...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  31. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Callipygian.

32. Cacorc

Cacorc Senior Member

Ejea de los Caballeros, España
    Spanish (Argentina)
    Wow, luar is my favourite one too. What a beautiful word!

33. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian
    Only two words in the following languages:
    Italian: anatroccolo (duckling) - coccinella (ladybird) I do like most Italian words with geminate consonants.
    Spanish: amanecer (dawn - daybreak) - callejuela (narrow street) and many more...
    Portuguese: luar (moonlight) - leão (lion). It is really hard to pick up just two words in this beautiful language.
    Catalan: ratolí (mouse)- tothom (everybody).....
    Hungarian: (snow) - cipő (shoes)
    French: crépuscule (twilight) coquelicot (poppy)
    German: Heimat (homeland)- Weltanschauung (worldview)
    Russian: Любовь (love) - Зима (winter)
    Sardinian: Yaya (grandma) - cua cua (on the sly)

Last but not least:
    English: Nightingale and Oblivion

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  34. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian
    Then I am sure your favourite Hungarian word could be hócipő. :) And you could choose one more word.

35. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian
    Yes... Anyway I particularly like very short words in Hungarian such as...fa (tree) - (horse) - (lake) and hò. I don't know exactly why, but they remind me of Japanese. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  36. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Szia Olaszinho.

Which do you like better, those with ó or with ő? E.g. ló, tó, hó, szó, só ... or lő, tő, hő, sző, vő, nő ...?

A question for curiosity: do you also (being Italian) like the Spanish word mariposa?

37. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian
    Szia Francis :)
    I do like both sounds, but only the words with ó remind me of Japanese. Yes, I like mariposa, but I adore a few Spanish diminutives as in riachuelo, polluelo, ratoncillo. In my opinion, Italian also has gorgeous diminutives as in fiumiciattolo, lupacchiotto, pezzettino, venticello.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  38. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Perhaps because of the long ó at the end of the word ... I have noticed something similar in case of some Hungarian words with double consonants like mellett, menni, alatt, vallattam, állat, állam,etc. I like them and somehow they remind me the Finnish language ...

39. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian

By the way, the verb menni (to go) is very similar to the Finnish mannä. In this case, the common Ugro-Finnic origin is very clear.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  40. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian
    Quisiera añadir otra palabra española que me fascinó muchísimo desde el primer momento que la encontré en una novela que estaba leyendo. Me refiero al término hojarasca; me parece una palabra muy bonita y particular dado que no existe una traducción exacta ni en italiano ni en inglés. Por ejemplo, se podría traducirlo al inglés con fallen leaves or dead leaves. ;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  41. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Tal vez te interese: el conjunto/estrato de las hojas (ya secas) que han caído del árbol, en húngaro se llama avar.

P.S. A propósito de los diminutivos: me gusta la palabra scalinatella y los demás diminutivos en esta canción napolitana.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  42. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian
    Szia Francis. köszönöm szépen! Tetszik nekem ez a szép és érdekes szó!
    Most spanyolul írok. :)

Intenté escuchar la canción de Ranieri pero no lo conseguí. Voy a intentarlo otra vez. De hecho, los sustantivos alterados (aumentativos, despectivos, diminutivos afectuosos son algo muy hermoso en muchas lenguas romances, en particular español e italiano. Permiten una variedad increíble de matices lingüísticos. Por ejemplo, el idioma francés carece de esto.

43. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Szia Olaszinho, se trata de las siguientes palabras (en napolitano): 'nnammuratella, scalinatella, strettulella, zucculillo, scarrupatella, sciaguratella. Aren't they beautiful (with Neapolitan pronunciation, of course) ? ....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  44. olaszinho Senior Member

Italy
    Central Italian
    ¡Por fin he conseguido escuchar la canción! Ya la conocía aunque no me acordaba de ella. El napolitano suena muy bien cantado... Con respecto a los diminutivos en –ello/ella, he de decir que hay bastantes en italiano también, tal como: cordicella, catinella, venticello; poverello, fraticello y más.

45. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Greek:

«Φλοίσβος» [ˈflizvos] (masc.) --> the sound of small sea waves rippling ashore.
    «Φιλαυτία» [filafˈti.a] (fem.) --> self-love.
    «Παλινόρθωση» [paliˈnorθosi] (fem.) --> restoration.
    «Παραγκωνισμός» [paɾaŋgoniˈzmos] (masc.) --> exclusion, marginalization, crowding-out.
    «Εκατόμβη» [ekaˈtomvi] (fem.) --> carnage, hecatombe sacrifice.
    «Στιλπνός» [stilpˈnos] (masc.) --> glossy.
    «Στίλβη» [ˈstilvi] (fem.) --> coruscation, brilliance.
    «Σφουγγοκωλάριος» [sfuŋgokoˈlaɾi.os] (masc. & fem.) --> crony, brown noser literally arse-wiper.

46. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    In Greek we have the same word (γιαγιά)!

47. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    "Στιλπνός" is one of my favourites too, apmoy,:) along with "σμαραγδένιος" (adj. "emerald") and the surname "Κάσδαγλης".

48. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    My beloved phrase is なせばなるnaseba-naru composed of only five syllables, which means 'it will be answered if you try'. I like a word spelled as 雪月花setsu-gekka(snow, moon and flower), too.

49. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Indeed general ;) σμαραγδένιος is a nice word too.
    One of my favourites (which I forgot earlier) is «παραπινάκης» [paɾapiˈnacis] which was the epithet of the Byzantine emperor Michael VII Doukas, and describe his stinginess. Michael's daily provisions to feed all his subjects, were a quarter short (παρὰ πινακίῳ parà pinakíǭ > parapinákēs) than his predecessors.

50. Uriel-

Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    I like the word dragonfly. A Spanish-speaking friend once said he thought it was stupid word, because the insect doesn't look anything like a dragon. I was scandalized. I guess the English common name has always made the beautiful creature seem that much more magical in my mind. Way prettier than libelula!