FDA’s <compliance> and enforcement actions

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
I understand the "compliance" here as "the state of living up to the rules or standards set by FDA." Am I on the right track?

From monitoring clinical trials and approving medicines and vaccines, to ensuring the safety of blood transfusions, medical devices, groceries, and more, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is one of the nation’s most vital watchdogs. By several measures, however, FDA’s compliance and enforcement actions have plummeted since President Donald Trump took office, Science has found.

Source: Science By Charles PillerJul. 2, 2019
Exclusive: FDA enforcement actions plummet under Trump

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes, you picked the right meaning :)

com•pli•ance (kəm plīəns), n.
    1. the act of conforming, acquiescing, or yielding.
    2. a tendency to yield readily to others, esp. in a weak and subservient way.
    3. conformity; accordance: in compliance with orders.
    4. cooperation or obedience:Compliance with the law is expected of all.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    :idea: Is the expression, or the definition of mine, qualified to be printed into a pamphlet, or even a book?

Or more efforts should be made to improve it?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "Living up to something" is usually used for expectations, not laws :) For laws, the better word is obey
    Everyone should obey the law. :thumbsup:
    Everyone should live up to the law.:thumbsdown:

The state of obeying (or obedience to or acting in accordance with) the rules and regulations of the FDA

comply:
    • to act or be in accordance with wishes, requests, demands, requirements, conditions, etc.;
      agree (sometimes fol. by with):They asked him to leave and he complied. She has complied with the requirements.

< Previous | Next >