Feared he was, and proud

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the book "Treasure Island".
Silver is talking about how scary he is. I did not understand here "proud". I take proud as
"pleased or satisfied, as with oneself, one's possessions, achievements".
But I did not get the connection how one is proud of someone of whom he also feared.
Thanks

There was some that was feared of Pew, and some that was feared of Flint; but Flint his own self was feared of me. Feared he was, and proud.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I believe that what he is saying is that Flint was 1. afraid of Silver, and 2. a proud man. If these two are linked it is likely that he means that Flint was too proud to admit his fear, but from this passage it's not clear whether or not they are linked.

chong lee

türkçe
    Here is more context

There was some that was feared of Pew, and some that was feared of Flint; but Flint his own self was feared of me. Feared he was, and proud. They was the roughest crew afloat, was Flint's; the devil himself would have been feared to go to sea with them. Well now, I tell you, I'm not a boasting man, and you seen yourself how easy I keep company, but when I was quartermaster, lambs wasn't the word for Flint's old buccaneers.

Loob

English UK
    Hello chong lee

I'd say it means that Flint was both afraid of Silver and proud of Silver: afraid of him because he was scary, and proud of him because he kept the crew under control - he maintained good discipline.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Afrikaans
    Maybe Flint was fearful ("feared") and fearsome ("proud"). In other words, Silver presents himself as a man feared by fearsome men.

Proud can also mean imposing, statuesque, renowned etc.

< Previous | Next >