feathers, however, also allows...

< Previous | Next >

s.salehi9001

persian
Hi guys,

Could you please help me and tell when "however" and "also" can be used in one sentence? I mean with 'however' things are kind of contradictory to each other, while with "also" things are consistent with each other. So that, I expect not to see them simultaneously in a sentence.

For example, the ostrich has plumage that is so constructed that the feathers are long but not too dense. When conditions are hot, the ostrich erects them on its back, thus increasing the thickness of the barrier between solar radiation and the skin. The sparse distribution of the feathers, however, also allows considerable lateral air movement over the skin surface, thereby permitting further heat loss by convection.

Reference: TOEFL sample
Thanks a lot.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    These aren't contradictions; they operate on different levels. However contradicts the purpose; also means at the same time. In other words, the feathers do one thing. However, they also do a different thing at the same time.

s.salehi9001

persian
    I think "also" means "too"! Thank you dear Keith Bradford.

However contradicts the purpose
    It shows contradiction between the purposes of its sentence and of the previous one. Doesn't it?
    Since with increasing the thickness of barrier, we expect that ostrich becomes overheated. But the next sentence says that because of convection of air among feathers, ostrich will be cooled off. Am I right?

< Previous | Next >