featureless on the abyss, invincible, moved monstrous intuit

sisse nar

Korean
Hi, all.

This is from <A death in the family> by James Agee.

This is a little boy's imagination of darkness.
I don't get the red sentence.
What is the subject of the sentence? What does "invincible" do here?
Do 'featureless" and "invincible" mean the darkness?

He knew that he would never know, though memory, almost captured, unrecapturable, unbearably tormented him. That this little boy whom he inhabited was only the cruelest of deceits. That he was but the nothingness of nothingness, condemned by some betrayal, condemned to be aware of nothingness. That yet in that desolation, he was not without companions. For featureless on the abyss, invincible, moved monstrous intuitions. And from the depth and wide throat of eternity burned the cold, delirious chuckle of rare monsters beyond rare monsters, cruelty beyond cruelty.

• ewie

English English
    Hullo SN. A more normal rendering would be Because featureless, invincible and monstrous intuitions moved on the abyss.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what it means, though ~ any of it:(

It's a Biblical allusion or resonance, Gen 1:1-2 KJV
    1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

===
    Revised Agee, explicated, re-written, paraphrased:

He's facing darkness, scared. It's like an abyss--deep-- and it's powerful and threatening. He, in that setting, has 'companions', that is, a sense of monsters, rare cruel monsters from eternity. They are so powerful and distant in origin that their action on the abyss is like the action of God, the powerful spirit moving on the dark face of the deep. (and--by resonance-- mightily bringing the world into being).

AGEE: That yet in that desolation, he was not without companions. For featureless on the abyss, invincible, moved monstrous intuitions.And from the depth and wide throat of eternity burned the cold, delirious chuckle of rare monsters beyond rare monsters, cruelty beyond cruelty.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >