feed suggestion of fakery ?

< Previous | Next >

sky753

Chinese
Hello Everyone,

It is reported by Yahoo online that the white house stated that it would stop the long run practice of have president re-read the national address after the live Tv broadcast. In which there is a sentence:

The White House said it is ending its long-running practice of having presidents re-enact televised speeches for news photographers following major addresses to the country, a little-known arrangement that fed suggestions of fakery when Barack Obama announced the death of Osama bin Laden.

I would like to know here what the fed suggestion of fakery means here? Does it mean the arragnement has increased the public suspect that the news of Laden's death were faked ?

Regards

Sky

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Fed" here means something like "made them stronger, gave them more power."

When I see the sentence in isolation, I understand the "fakery" to refer to the way Barack Obama announced the death or to how he described the death. What are they discussing in the part of the story where this appears? Are they talking about suspicions that Bin Laden isn't dead after all? Or are they talking about the conflicting versions of how he was killed?

Merrit

English
    The way I read that quote is that Presidents would deliver televised speeches, and later re-enact the speech for the benefit of news photographers; and that this practice has led to accusations that Barak Obama was somehow faking something.

I don't see anything that suggests either that the news itself was fake, or that the public suspects the news to be fake.

m

EDIT: If I were a TV cameraman I certainly wouldn't want news photographers crowding the President's desk, and shouting questions, and making noise, and flashing cameras, while I was filming the speech. Much better that they stay out of the room. :D

Last edited:

Log Lady

English - UK
    The re-filming of a speech would feed suggestions of fakery, ie misprepresentation of the circumstances, because some people might take it that the chronology of events is suspect. They might think it was a pre-recorded message, filmed hours, days or weeks before the event, and that the government are in some way misleading the public.

As Cagey says, "fed" is figurative here. Another synonym could be "fuelled".

< Previous | Next >