feedback from the food?

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Gordon Ramsay: Well done. And Levanti's is back on the map. This gorgeous town loved the American bistro. Did you hear the feedback from the food?

Waitress: I didn't have a single complaint tonight.

Source: Kitchen Nightmares Season 6 Episode 8

Background: Ramsay came to save a restaurant beleaguered with infighting and mismanagement from going belly up. With his intervention the restaurant underwent a complete menu makeover that would make them an envy of other competitors in the town. After a packed, successful relaunch night, Ramsay congratulated the staff and the owners on their excellent performance and how well the food was received by the customers.

Hi,
Is "feedback from the food" as acceptable as "feedback on the food" in your variety of English? Do you think he has misspoken and chosen the wrong preposition?

• owlman5

English-US
    I wouldn't use "feedback from the food", redgiant. "Feedback from the customers about the food" makes sense.

I do think Ramsay misspoke when he used that expression. From what I've seen of the man, misspeaking doesn't trouble him much. He has other things on his mind.

a3mlord

Português (Portugal)
    "Any feedback from the customers" would be my choice. I think that everyone would assume we were talking about the food.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you. I figured as much. "Feedback about the food" would be a better choice. One can't really take a profanity-laden scripted reality show as a reliable source of English to follow

< Previous | Next >