feedback / opinion

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following conversation I've just made up.

Son: "Dad, I've been thinking about which car do buy, and I think I like <particular car model> best. What do you think?"
Dad: "Well, I wouldn't buy it. It's not fuel efficient, and the maintenance costs are high."

The dad provided his opinion. What I'd like to know is if his opinion is "feedback" in this context. I don't think it is, because the son only asked about a car he was interested in, not about some brilliant idea he had come up with or some product he had developed himself.

• sdgraham

USA English
    I (and the WR dictionary) see no reason whatsoever why "feedback" is restricted to: " .. some brilliant idea he had come up with or some product he had developed himself."

I hope this feedback is of some help. :)

Last edited:

meijin

Japanese
    Thanks for the reply/feedback, sdgraham. That's good to know. The OED I use says that feedback is "information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc. which is used as a basis for improvement", so I assumed it was inappropriate to use in the above context.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The OED I use says that feedback is "information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc. which is used as a basis for improvement", so I assumed it was inappropriate to use in the above context.
    As I understand it, "feedback" is usually something a customer gives to a business, or sometimes a prospective employer gives to an interviewee.

I don't think it works in the context of something a father would give his son over his choice of which car to buy: that's more of an opinion.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thanks for the reply/feedback, sdgraham. That's good to know. The OED I use says that feedback is "information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc. which is used as a basis for improvement", so I assumed it was inappropriate to use in the above context.
    I think you'll find that as the language becomes more and more affected by technology terminology, you'll see such expressions as "feedback" to become more common, especially where younger people are concerned -- although it would be unusual in the context you mention.
    ;)

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you all very much. Glad to know that it's unusual in the context. I can imagine younger people (and also people from non-English speaking countries) misusing it.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you all very much. Glad to know that it's unusual in the context. I can imagine younger people (and also people from non-English speaking countries) misusing it.
    Watch out for that "misusing."

You might review the large numbers of technology words that have muscled their way into up-to-date dictionaries.

meijin

Japanese
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Until it appears in the up-to-date dictionary, I'd like to call it a misuse.

< Previous | Next >