feedback (reaction to a new product)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by 80s Queen, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 80s Queen Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    Canada - English & French, German
    Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulty translating the word "feedback". What word do you use in French for an <<online feedback form>> where you give an opinion about something, such as a new product or service that was liked or not?

"Réaction"? "Opinion"? ou quelque chose d'autre?

I know there have been discussions on the word "feedback" before, but not in this context.

Merci!

2. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Hello 80s Queen,
    Could "questionnaire de satisfaction" fit ?

3. 80s Queen Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    I don't know, that's why I'm asking you. ;) ;)

4. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Good point :D
    (but maybe it was just a rhetorical question... or a way to ask for feedback from other forer@s :p )

"Questionnaire de satisfation" would be something you give to people who have used a product or a service. For example, hospitals sometimes ask you to fill such a questionnaire to help improve the service. So if your feedback form is given to people who have used a product or service, I'd say yes, it would fit :)

5. 80s Queen Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    Thanks, geve! But, how about in the case where the form asks "Where did you hear from us?" "What did you think of our product?" - questions in general about the user/consumer. I suppose I should have been more specific...

6. sbc

sbc Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    Canada, English
    In one example I see online, maybe saying: Que pesez vous de.... could work?

7. denis-a-paris

denis-a-paris Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - USA
    les impresssions ou les réactions ?

8. sbc

sbc Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    Canada, English
    Or you can use: sondage (survey)

9. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    with that small change then ;)

It's a good suggestion - I can't think of a noun to translate that... :( only sentences like sbc's

I'll just hope that something obvious is escaping my mind, and that someone here will find it !
    Otherwise, your first idea would work : "vos réactions", "vos suggestions", or "commentaires et suggestions"

10. 80s Queen Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    Ok, thanks everybody! I think "réaction" is the most fitting so far.

Merci!!

11. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    And it shows what a bunch of hypocrits they are : you can only fill it in if you're still alive. ;)
    Okay, sorry, this was chat.

I also think réactions (in the plural) is the best suggestion. :)

12. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    I think you could use ''Formulaire de Satisfaction Client''.
    "vos réactions", "vos suggestions", or "commentaires et suggestions" + "Where did you hear from us?" "What did you think of our product?" peuvent tous figurer sur la même page de ce formulaire.

As well, the Geve's ''questionnaire de satisfaction en ligne'' is quite common too I think.

13. SoupleCommeLeVent Senior Member

si vous me permettez:

14. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    En Politique/marketing, c'est souvent un "questionnaire d'opinion" qui permet de fermer la boucle de régulation!
    Hope it helps!

15. Geishawhelk New Member

English, UK
    ....On a personal note, I find it amusing that the French seem reluctant to adopt general english terms which would suffice, (the Italians have 'feedback', 'Buyer' 'Merchandise' 'Track and trace') But the French hesitate to introduce these terms, preferring instead to use rather verbose and slightly complicated terms in french....! Not a criticism, just an observation....!

Merci de votre comprehension! ( je n'ai pas les moyens de pouvoir ajouter les accents sur les lettres!)

16. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    As a matter of fact, we do use "feedback" in French... in posh/snobbish environments :D In business talk it is quite common to use English words, such as marketing, management etc.
    But why would we use English words when there are French ones? :)
    Commentaires, suggestions, impressions, réactions... are not verbose or complicated terms.

17. lorenzogranada

lorenzogranada Senior Member

France
    English - mid-Atlantic
    Very commonly used now in conversational French is "les retours". I have just published a book about the historical quarter of Nice where I live and put it in the local bookshops. Friends ask me how well it is selling, or, what reactions to it have been, by saying "Et les retours?". Which doesn't mean as you might think, how many of the books sold were returned for a refund! I don't remember this idiom from years back, but I hear a lot of it now.
    The answer to the question would be either "Les retours ont été bons" or "Il n'y a pas encore eu de retours" (which is the case for my very recent publication).