feel accomplished

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"Here is a small definition of Accomplished (adj) - Completed; effected; established, Finished

I feel completed does not make sense...however I feel complete will pass as improper acceptable English. I feel established does not make sense. I feel finished does not make sense."

Is "feel accomplished" a grammatically correct expression? It seems as though 'you feel you are accomplished' as if you are a task to be finished. Isn't supposed to be 'feel having accomplished' if were to mean one feels satisfied with his/her work that's completed?

source: Reddit, is it correct English to say "I feel accomplished" ? : AskReddit

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I think we have two meanings of "accomplished": one for tasks and one for persons.
    A task that is accomplished is completed.
    A person who is accomplished is successful.
    You can say "He's an accomplished musician."
    "I feel accomplished" is like "I feel successful."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is "feel accomplished" a grammatically correct expression?
    Yes

It seems as though 'you feel you are accomplished' as if you are a task to be finished.
    That is a different meaning. "Accomplished" has more than one meaning. The verb "accomplish" can be used in its past: "he accomplished the task". The adjective version comes from this meaning: an accomplished task, an accomplished fact.

A different adjective "accomplished" means expert at something difficult:

He is an accomplished piano player.
    She is an accomplished pilot.

accomplished - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

< Previous | Next >