feel at home vs make yourself at home

bouquinistesofunderworld

Turkish
I came across the following dialogue in a text-book written by a non-native speaker.

Donna : Hi, Gale.
Gale : Hi, Donna. Please, come in. Feel at home and enjoy yourself.
Donna : Thanks, Gale

I think the author meant to say "make yourself at home."

I looked up the two expressions and I found this.

Feel at home

to feel as if one belongs; to feel as if one were in one's home; to feel accepted.

I liked my dormitory room. I really felt at home there. We will do whatever we can to make you feel at home.

Make yourself at home.
Fig. Please make yourself comfortable in my home. (Also a signal that a guest can be less formal.)
Andy: Please come in and make yourself at home. Sue: Thank you. I'd like to. Bill: I hope I'm not too early. Bob: Not at all. Come in and make yourself at home. I've got a few little things to do. Bill: Nice place you've got here.

So am I right to assume that the author made a mistake or not?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

• Barque

Tamil
    "Make yourself at home" is the more usual way of saying it but this doesn't sound like a mistake to me, just a different way of expressing the same thing.

Cross-posted

Copyright

American English
    How seldom (if ever) I don't agree ... you may be right, of course, but it sounds like a mistake to me, maybe because I've never heard it. :)

Barque

Tamil
    I don't think I've heard it either, but it sounds to me like the sort of thing someone might deliberately say in place of a standard expression, to make themselves sound more sincere.

Copyright

American English
    My home is your home – enjoy yourself.

I would suggest that's a better alternative. :D Obviously, I'm not a fan of "feel at home." :)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    That's because no one's ever said it to you ;)
    No, because it's the sort of thing Australians would say to someone when they're going out (e.g. to a party, to the movies), not to someone who has come to their home. :)

Edit: Maybe if I had gone to someone's place for a party, but that's not likely to happen because I hate parties! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Feel at home" sounds very odd to me. It would be normal to say "Make yourself at home...feel free to do as you please here...enjoy yourself."

You could also say "I hope you'll feel at home here."

< Previous | Next >