feel for/about/toward

< Previous | Next >

keytosuccess

Korean
I will ask my friend his opinion when he sees sombody or something.

I'd like to use 'feel'.

Then, which preposition shoud come with 'feel', for or about or toward?
( How do you feel for/about/toward her? )

Can all of them be used?

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi key,

It depends on what exactly you want to know from your friend. Could you give us more context? For instance, are you asking your friend if he's romantically attracted toward this girl? Whether he thinks she'd be appropriate to hire as an employee? Does he know her? Are they friends? It makes a difference with the preposition.:)

keytosuccess

Korean
    Hi key,

It depends on what exactly you want to know from your friend. Could you give us more context? For instance, are you asking your friend if he's romantically attracted toward this girl? Whether he thinks she'd be appropriate to hire as an employee? Does he know her? Are they friends? It makes a difference with the preposition.:)
    Hi theartichoke! ^^
    I remember you.
    You have greeted me before with such a friendly 'Hi key' ^^
    The question was my first one here. So your greeting was very impressive to me. ^^

Actually, this question is about whether he is romantically attracted toward her or not.
    But, now that I read your explanation, I'd like to study everything. Can you do me a favor? Could you explain which preposition I should use in each situation that you mentioned?

[ I started the Word Reference Forums recently. I got very good answers to my questions. When I'd like to show answerers my gratitude, what should I do? This site doesn't have 'Like' button like facebook, does it? ]

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I will ask my friend his opinion when he sees somebody or something.

I'd like to use 'feel'.

Then, which preposition should come with 'feel', for or about or toward?
    (How do you feel for/about/toward her?)
    I guess, from your proposed question, that your friend has recently met a young woman. Either about or toward would work in your question (we'd more likely use about); "for" would not be right.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Actually, this question is about whether he is romantically attracted toward her or not.
    But, now that I read your explanation, I'd like to study everything. Can you do me a favor? Could you explain which preposition I should use in each situation that you mentioned?
    It's not easy to explain the exact difference between "how do you feel about her?" and "how to do feel toward her?" except to say that "about" can be used in more contexts than "toward" can. "How do you feel toward her?" is very specific: I would use it only in cases where there was already a relationship (not necessarily a romantic one) between the addressee and "her"; I don't think you can have feelings "toward" someone you haven't met, even if you find that person attractive. And I would probably only use it if the addressee's feelings toward "her" were in doubt.

E.g. "Remember that big fight you and Laura had last year? How do you feel toward her now?"

"About" can be used in more contexts:

"You've been friends with Kate for years now, but I can tell she likes you as more than that. How do you feel about her?"
    "Okay, so you think Cathy is overqualified for the job, that Jane doesn't have the right skills, and that Sam is too inexperienced. What about Sarah? How do you feel about her?" (this is a more colloquial use of "feel": it would be more usual to say "what do you think about her?")

P.S. No, no "like" button. We usually just say thanks, as you did.:)

< Previous | Next >