Feel free to come to Normandy... It takes 2 and half hours from Paris.

claude23

Banned
FRANCE
Hi,

Feel free to come to Normandy... It takes 2 and half hours from Paris or to Paris ?

I always get some problems with from and to ..

Thank you,

Claude.

• claude23

Banned
    FRANCE
    I know that. Thank you but I still don't know how to use it.
    Do you mind if you clarify the question being asked.

Thank you for your help .

Claude.

nycphotography

American English
    Feel free to come to Normandy... It takes 2 and half hours from Paris?

Feel free to come to Normandy... It takes 2 and half hours to get to from Paris?

Feel free to come to Normandy... It is 2 and half hours from Paris?

-----------------------

I love to travel from Normandy... It's 2 1/2 hours to Paris.

Claude,

An easy rule to learn is that you come from a place or you go to a place.

Try and learn 'come from' and 'go to', then you will have no more trouble.

NB: This only applies in the context you have given. I don't want to confuse you with 'come to' and 'go from'. That would need to be a new thread anyway.

LRV

peubanni

Japanese
    Again, I seemed to have failed to grasp the gist of the question. So you do understand the notions of "from" and "to" but somehow have a trouble understanding how to use "from" and "to". That confuses me a little... When you say "It takes 2 1/2 hours from Paris", you're supposing the person to whom you are speaking is at the Paris, or at least know where Paris is. And he is coming to Normandy, departing Paris. Whereas "It takes 2 1/2 hours to Paris", the emphasize is on the time you need when you depart Normandy to go to Paris. Oh well, that's a pretty bad explanation. I'll pass it on to somebody who is more confident with their English.

peubanni said:
    Again, I seemed to have failed to grasp the gist of the question. So you do understand the notions of "from" and "to" but somehow have a trouble understanding how to use "from" and "to". That confuses me a little... When you say "It takes 2 1/2 hours from Paris", you're supposing the person to whom you are speaking is at the Paris, or at least know where Paris is. And he is coming to Normandy, departing Paris. Whereas "It takes 2 1/2 hours to Paris", the emphasize is on the time you need when you depart Normandy to go to Paris. Oh well, that's a pretty bad explanation. I'll pass it on to somebody who is more confident with their English.

You have explained very well Peubanni. :)

Travelling to Normandy from Paris takes 2 1/2 hours.

Travelling back from Normandy to Paris is the same - 2 1/2 hours.

LRV