feel good <while corrected> by my teacher [reduced clause?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by boggiee, Jan 8, 2014.

1. boggiee

boggiee Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    Hi,

- I don't feel good while I am corrected by my teacher all the time during the conversation class.

- I don't feel good while corrected by my teacher all the time during the conversation class.

I know I can reduce 'when' but I would like to ask if I can apply to 'while' or not. Is it OK to use 'verb 3 ' after 'while'?

Thanks.

2. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    'While' does not work in this context, because it suggests you only feel bad during the actual corrections, and that you feel perfectly happy in the short intervals between the end of one correction and the beginning of the next. I think what you are trying to say is that what makes you feel bad is the fact that the teacher corrects you so often.

I don't know what you mean by 'verb 3'.
    Both "I am corrected" and "corrected" work fine after 'when', or you could also say "when my teacher corrects me all the time".

3. boggiee

boggiee Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    I just meant that 'past participle'. But I would like to ask if I can use a past participle after 'while' without using a subject. I know I can use 'when' in that way. For instance: ''It can also be a very engaging strategy for a brand, especially when done right''. Can I use 'while + done' in that way as well?

Thanks again.

4. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    I can't think of a context in which you could use "while" with a part participle, at least in the way you mean it. "While" is used when something is happening during some other action or event, and the past participle refers to a completed action.

If you use "while" to mean "although," then it is possible, as in "The bread, while somewhat burned, was still edible."

5. boggiee

boggiee Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    Thanks for both answers. However, I found something about 'while done'. Here is the link: http://www.youcanteach.com/howtoteach-food.php

- Conduct taste tests. This is so fun! Find all the different kinds of apples or cereal or bread that you can and try each one while blindfolded.

But, I am not sure if it is OK or not. :(

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 75)
    UK English
    While blindfolded is a good example.

I lost 20 kilos while locked up in prison.